Chapter Seven: Cato Demeir

Chapter Seven:

Cato's POV

"Never underestimate the pain of a person, because the truth is everyone is struggling.  It's just some people hide it better than others." Anonymous

District Two.

I've gotta say, I was surprised by the reaction we got when we stopped there for the Victory Tour. Sure, everyone congratulated Alia and I when we got home from the Hunger Games... but this reaction made that look like nothing.

Cyra gazed out at the sea of people with an overwhelmed look upon her face. District Two was the most populated District with more than fifty thousand citizens. Yeah, District Four was big, too, but it was small in comparison to District Two.

And then... there was Gale... the look on his face said it all. He was terrified at the sight of the crowd of District Two citizens. His mouth hung open, eyes wide.

I punched his left arm to snap him out of his daze, which only made him shoot me a death glare in response.

"Do I have to remind the two of you to act respectable in front of the audience?" Effie whisper-hissed at us.

I just rolled my eyes in response.

"Well, that's it for today, folks! We hope you enjoyed watching our four victors in the Games this year!" she exclaimed, shoving us off the stage and back into the train.

"Cyra, there's someone here who insists on seeing you..." Effie trailed off.

Cyra's smile immediately dropped into a frown, knowing exactly who was here to see her.

At that moment, Shawn Wilson stepped out from a nearby train compartment. He smirked at Alia and I to then shoot Gale an inferior look.

"Come, Cyra," he instructed, reaching for her hand.

Cyra smacked him away from her. "Don't you dare touch me, Shawn! And don't tell me what to do, either!"

Shawn raised his eyebrows and grit his teeth together. "We'll be married soon, Cyra. And that means we have to respect one another."

"I will never  respect you," she snarled.

"Hmm, pity. I'm sorry, Cyra, but you don't have a choice. We're getting married whether you like it or not... And there's nothing you or your pathetic coal-mining boyfriend can do to stop it," Shawn growled, yanked Cyra's left hand, and dragged her into a compartment.

I could see the anger rising inside of Gale with every passing second.

With Effie gone, he kicked the side of the wall. "CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?!"

"Yeah, Shawn's a real jerk," Alia muttered under her breath.

Gale snorted. "That's an understatement."

When no one responded, Gale cleared his throat and said, "Well, I'm gonna go back to my room for a little bit. Let me know when he's  gone."

"See you, Hawthorne."

With that, Gale darted down the train hallway and into his room, slamming the door forcefully behind him.

Alia turned to me, her head hung low as she shook it slightly.

I lifted her chin up to get a better look at her. Her blue eyes were watering, tears streaking her cheeks.

"Hey... What's wrong...?" I trailed off, as more tears ran down her face.