new york, new work

"So you're pregnant?"

My best friend, Kristen Gregory, sat in front of me, her steaming latte slightly dripping onto the table. I nodded slowly at her.

"That's like impossible-"

"Kristen, stop." I turned to my dirty blonde, twisted-haired friend. She squinted her eyes a little and re-arranged her pastel pink, v-neck cropped tank top - which fit perfectly with her navy and white striped crop trousers and pointed toe pumps.

"Have you took an actual pregnancy test?" Claire Lyons, in her baby blue baby doll dress and white Keds, sipped on her hot chocolate.

"Yeah." I smiled at my two friends.

Ever since Massie left to England, I had sort of become the Alpha. And I really, really liked it. We aren't how we were in middle school, we're really here for each other now.

"As soon as I got back, my parents dragged me to take one. I'm definitely pregnant."

"Please don't cry!"

I turned to glare at Claire, only to see her staring at my stomach in sadness.

"Too bad Dylan's not here. I kinda miss her red hair." I lighten the mood a bit by mentioning our friend vacationing in Cuba.

"What are you going to do? Are you ever going to go back to Forks? What about Jake-"

"Kristen! Let's enjoy this moment. I'm back in New York, I'll be doing some homeschooling so more free time to go shopping," I laugh. "Let's just be happy. I missed the atmosphere here."

"And you missed up," Claire butted in.

"Shut up," I smiled up at her, moving her bangs off of her face.

...

After a few months of being pregnant, I was over it. I wasn't allowed to go anywhere, as to not ruin my parents reputation. I sat inside and read all day. The chefs being here, though, was a plus for me and my child,

I hoped she was a girl. I could definitely handle a little mini me. Playing dress up would be amazing, I can almost see it now. I also hoped she looked like me. I don't know if I can see Jake's face.

While I know he got eith me to make Bella jealous, I really fell for him. And I thought he loved me too. Those last words he said to me - I just want to break down even thinking about it. I have kept in contact with Bella though. We email, sometimes, and I'll call her when she's not busy. Or in trouble. Apparently she ran off to Italy to see Edward without Charlie knowing.

That's some guts.

I do think she's happier now that Edwards back though. She's definitely doesn't sound as depressed as she was the last time I saw her, though her voice is still monotone. She could kill a zombie with it.

Wait are zombies real too? If vampires are - they must be!

But anyways, I guess the Cullens are back in town. I don't really know much about them anymore. I kind of zone out whenever Bella gets to talking about everyone again. She does know not to mention Jacob, thankfully. The way my emotions are set, I break down at any hint of him.

I hope I can forget his face one day-

The phone ringed, and I picked it up quickly before it could cause a migraine.

"Hello, Rivera residence."

"Quit it, Leesh. You sound too fancy."

My smile brightened up at the voice.

"Mass?! Is that you?" I went and sat back down on my bed, enjoying my soufflé.

"Who else would it be," She chuckled. "But enough about me, why did I have to find out that you were pregnant from everyone but you!"

She spoke slowly.

"My parents wanted me to keep it under wraps."

"From me?"

"I was scared."

"Of what, me judging you? We're not in middle school anymore, Alicia. I expected you to tell me the news yourself. I'm going to be a godmother and I don't even know it."

I smiled again, knowing that her mood has lightened up. She continued talking, "So when's the baby shower?"

"Mhmm I don't know yet."

"Come have it at my castle!"

"That literally sounds like a dream."

"Does that boy know yet?" My smile faltered. I set my spoon down.

"No, and I don't think he should. He doesn't love me, he just thinks that I'm a slut. I don't need him anymore."

"Leesh I know you're crying."

I quickly wiped the tears away before she said anything else.

"You have to tell him sometime."

"Why? He won't be around anyways. I'm never going back to Forks either-"

My door flew open at that exact moment. My mother stood in front of me, motioning to get off of the phone.

"Bye Mass, I gotta go. Love ya!"

"Love you too! Don't get overly fat!"

"Rude! I'm barely even showing"! I gasped.

"Kidding! Eat as much as you want. You know I'll always lvoe you."

I hung up and turned to my mom.

"Yes, ma?"

"We need to talk." She sat down beside me on my bed and I internally groaned. We already had the pregnancy and unprotected sex talk, I don't know what else she would want to know.

"I think it'd be best if you went back to Forks."

I opened my mouth to interrupt but she held up her hand.

"Just for a little bit, until you give birth. Your father has a very important opportunity coming up and I don't want anything distracting from his path."

"Is anything about me anymore?" I stood up outraged, Nadia following.

"No, it's about that child! And I also don't think buhe or she should grow up without a father. Alicia, you're caring for someone else now. You can't run away from everything forever. You're going."

I sat back down, defeated. She had a point. I already felt maternally toward my child, my attitude was slightly shifting..

"When?" I just sighed. She smiled softly and pecked my cheek.

"Next week, plus you have Bella's graduation to look forward to."

"Wait. I'll only go if the Pretty Committee can go too."