Chapter 3: The Institution

Day after day seemed to vanish and fall beneath me. I hadn't found India in the bar once within the last four days, somewhere that used to be her favourite location. My sleek, black ponytail whiplashed across my face in the wind on my way back from the bar. Much of my time had been spent there, waiting for my friend to return. She never did.

Main Street was a long, popular strip filled with shops and restaurants, Idols flooding the sidewalks. I rarely walked the whole way down, but my destination required me to. My home was a place where I either sat in darkness or watched through the wide window at the Mutts' exploitation and the Idols' freedom.

In four days I had accomplished little. I had drowned in my thoughts, my nails digging into my skin like I would find an answer buried somewhere. The Institution was on the far side of District A. Not many were granted access into the facility, especially family members of the Mutts.

That was one of the only perks of being a Sorter in the Exam Facility. No one questioned me, as my position was far higher than theirs. Very few were offered jobs at the core facility in the New World, and those beneath me, even workers from District A, did not dare question it. Many abused their power, getting free products and access to practically anywhere they dreamed of going.

The Institution of District A was probably the second largest building in the New World. By far the most secure, the most guarded, and said to be the most horrifying of places. The Guards and Escorts were usually of the second test level, right below those who enrolled in careers at the Exam Facility.

The entrance was far more high-tech than the facility in which I worked at. My hand pressed down on the palm scanner right of the gate, my identification flashing across the screen. The gate gave an alarming buzz before a click echoed into the silent air. I placed my hand on the cool metal, pushing open the gate with a gentle push.

My heels clicked loudly on the pavement, the fence closing loudly behind me. The front doors stood over fifty feet in front of me, the tall structure seeming to tower over the district. I had been in District A for 15 years, and never had I set foot in the Institution. It was not recommended.

I used my palm again to open the front doors, the electrical switch even louder this time. I stepped inside, the white walls almost blinding my dark eyes. The floor was tile, every furniture item marble. The front desk stood largely in the center of the lobby. The Idols that stood at front desks, their sole purpose being to communicate with those who enter were labeled as Communicators. This Communicator had a large, blonde bun positioned high on the top of her petite head. "Welcome to the New World, where dreams are followed and lives are glorious," she huffed out our motto, "May I help you?" she sighed, her blue eyes scanning across my exhausted body.

I strode towards her, glancing around the interior. I placed my palms flat on the marble surface, my eyes darting past her to the screen standing on the side of the desk. "I have been asked to check on the Mutts I had sent here today," my lie was quick, forming in my head since I had sucked back two beers at the bar. I slid my Sorter identification badge towards her, "Completely for research purposes."

"I was not informed," the woman's eyebrows creased, her eyes watching me as she tapped at her keyboard. I placed my badge slowly into my bag, "Well, you know how Idols run. So many things to do, so many last minute choices."

The Communicator hesitated a moment before reaching under her desk and pulling out a visitor badge. "As to not confuse you with the Mutts," her tone was short, "Assembling has just begun on floor six. That should suffice for your research. I will notify the Watchers on your way up."

"Thank you," I clipped the badge to my leather shirt and walked slowly to the elevator on the far side of the level. The silver interior was elegant, creating the impression that the Institution was a brilliant building. When, in reality, it was only a tall structure used for exploiting human beings.