Chapter 8: Not One Protesting Soul

Benin jumped to his feet the second I stepped out of the elevator. His face read of anger, almost pain, and his eyes swept the tile floor. The Watchers shifted uneasily as if they thought the Mutt was about to attack. I nodded at each of them, noticing their anxiety depleting as I approached Benin.

It was the next day. My conversation with India had not solved the exploitation, but it had given me that last shred of hope that I couldn't find five days ago. I brushed past Benin, making my way to the room at the end of the hall where we had always met. He followed closely behind me. I could almost feel his words aching as they died to push past his lips.

I let him in the door, looking down the hall once more at the Watchers. As soon as I closed the door his rage exploded, "Where the fuck have you been? I have been stuck in assembly the last five days. My eyes might as well have been glued to that god damn elevator, for some reason thinking that you may just show up!"

My palms grew sweaty, and as I wiped them on the bottom of my blue, leather skirt I examined his words. He swore an awful lot, the language no doubt from the Idols shoving them into the dirt with their brutal curses. I cleared my throat, "I apologize that I haven't been able to rescue you from your tasks. Although I think I deserve a little forgiveness, do I not? After all, your breaks would not exist at all if it weren't for me."

Benin let out a hysteric laugh, "Sure, forgiveness this time, but this time only."

"That is awful big talk for the one I am rescuing," I raised an eyebrow, challenging his ego, "By all means, you can go back to assembling your little merry-go-round."

He scowled, "So, really, where have you been?"

I smirked, proud of my victory. I slid down into one of the two chairs, eyeing Benin closely as he paced the far wall. "I was trying to find a small shred of hope that would convince me into coming back one day, and I guess today was that day. I am sorry it took so long. But obviously," I grinned, "my presence has been missed more than I thought it would be."

"Don't flatter yourself," he retorted, spinning the chair around so he could lean his chest on the back rest, his legs separated in order to wrap around the wide base. Benin faced me, his dull blue eyes piercing into mine like they always did, "Anything new that I should know about?"

I shook my head, and after a small debate in my head I decided to tell him about Bahrain. I explained it quickly, not getting into too much detail as to not look like a failure, but enough to make him understand my hurt. He nodded, "That motherfucker will learn his lesson soon enough."

I rolled my eyes, "You really mustn't swear so much. It gives off a bad impression."

"As if," he tilted his head to the side, letting his blonde locks fall towards the floor, "I think you already have a solid impression of me. There isn't much point in not swearing. And besides, I don't give a shit," he said this last part with his lips curved up in a smirk, as if he had been waiting just to mess with me for the last five days.

My tongue pressed against the back of my teeth as I fought back my smile. He sensed it, as his smirk grew. I shook my head in defeat, giving up with a small grin. "You also shouldn't be sitting on the chair like that. It's bad manners."

Benin jumped over the back of the chair, spinning it around and pulling it forwards before he plopped back into it in one swift movement. His knees were spread wide on either side of my legs, his elbows resting on his upper thighs as he leaned the rest of his body forwards so he was less than a foot from my sitting form.

"Better?" he tested me, his voice raspy and purely challenging. His eyes scanned mine, flickering across my pupils. He glanced down at my hands, as if searching. Benin looked back up at me with a confused look on his face. "Aren't most Idols supposed to be married?" he asked.