Chapter 4: The Boy

Waiting for the bell to finish my day of work could not have come slower. Practically leaping from my desk, I made my way through the facility and back to the empty path that stretched before the Institution. I had planned my attempts at conversing with the Mutts a million times over in my head.

The Communicator at the front desk gave me no further sense of welcome as I once again stepped up to her. She breathed out heavily as she handed me the visitor badge once again. Clipping it to the front of my dress I cleared my throat, "The Mutts assigned to assembly yesterday. What floor would be they be on at this time?"

She looked curiously at me, as if she should be signing me up for the Institution herself. She gave me a condescending grin, "The female assemblers have been sent to floor four to work on fashion production, and the males are currently on floor nine. I believe they are on their break for the day."

"Thank you," I said shortly before I turned to head to the ninth floor. I knew the Communicator would be notifying the Watchers of my arrival, as to not leave me to be torn apart by Mutts, even if that was what that woman seemed to want. But I had no fear of Mutts. If anything, they had far more fear of us than we should ever have of them. They were beings, just like us, and they meant no harm to any creature. They were not wired to kill.

The ninth floor was filled with male Mutts, just like the Communicator had told me. They appeared to be resting, most of them leaning against walls or spread out on the tile floor. Chairs were not a privilege while on break. Beds were said to even be a stretch of comfort, yet the more kind Idols had enforced the opportunity for Mutts to sleep on spring mattresses.

I walked past the Watchers once again, smiling lightly at them as my eyes quickly scanned over the many faces. The long, blonde hair was a giveaway in my search, and I stepped over numerous Mutts on my way to reach the young adult. He was sitting with his back on the wall, his knees brought up to his chest and his arms stretched across his knees.

"Hello again," my greeting to the Mutt was slightly nicer than a monotone as I slid down against the wall beside him. The boy turned his head away, showing nothing but disinterest in my presence. A frown curved down my lips, "I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions. Do you think that would be okay?"

The Mutt turned his head back to face me, his eyes hovering at the level of my waist, "With no disrespect, Miss, I do not wish to spend my break speaking to an Idol." He looked the other way.

His voice was raspy, a deep growl capable of only a young man, and his statement was fair. Why should he? He had spent his life being thrown around and ordered by Idols. Why spend his only time in peace speaking with one? But I hadn't come all this way to be shut down by the boy. "I understand," the words came out slowly, and I continued further, "This is the time where you do not have to be at the beck and call of an Idol."

The boy ran his hands down his thighs, shifting in place as he listened to my words. I went on, "I am not here to order you. In fact," I lowered my voice to a whisper, "what if I were to tell you that I am only here to ensure that that time never ends."

The Mutt turned his head back, the interest peaking within him. He leaned his skull against the wall behind him, "And what makes you think that I will believe you?"

The question came out stable, like every one of his souls had phrased the same sentence perfectly. My glance flickered to the side of his face, the youth portraying vividly in his grey eyes. They were fixed on the ceiling, desperate to look me in the eyes, to clearly see the woman claiming to be able to free him. I let out a short breath, forming a response in my mind. "Do you have anything to lose?" I asked the question quietly, ensuring only he would hear, but he would hear it well.