Chapter 11: Stripped to the Bone

The train seemed silent. It was rarely loud, but there was always a buzz of friends gossiping, or co-workers complaining about the day ahead. Today it was different. I shifted awkwardly to my other foot, placing my weight into my left hip. I barely waited for the train to squeal to a stop before I hopped out through the opening doors.

The facility seemed uncomfortable, too. Was it just me? My eyes glanced up at the sky. The weather seemed none to different than the day before, cancelling it out as a possibility for the odd atmosphere. The lobby was empty besides the Communicator preparing her desk for the day ahead.

I smiled weakly at her, not getting the gesture returned. My bag hung loosely across my shoulder as I smoothed out my work dress, a tight, red leather piece. The elevator also seemed to be moving in slow motion. Finally reaching my floor, I stepped off the lift to find myself to not be alone.

My marble desk had all of its drawers pulled out and stacked against the wall. The computer screen was turned on and running, the facility's percentages flashing across the monitor. It would've been odd, had there been no one else on the floor. But there was, and there was a lot.

Four Escorts lined the walls, and a handful of other men in government gear paraded the level, each with an unenthused look plastered onto their faces. Bahrain stood in the middle, his hands clasped behind his back and his eyebrows creased. He barked orders at the men as he gestured for equipment to be taken out or inspected.

I continued further, my heavy breathing and loud shoes enough to gain everyone's attention. The government workers only stared briefly before returning to their given tasks. Bahrain stepped over to me, his face glum. Tears stung my eyes as fury ignited within me. "Ah, Ireland," Bahrain's voice was cheerful, like he was just about to tell me he was having the best day of his life. He placed a hand on my shoulder, "You did not believe me, did you? I told you we were looking for a replacement."

"You cannot do this," I barked, shrugging off his hand, "I have not committed anything against the law. There are no rules against entering the Institution. If there was, my palm would not allow me admittance."

My superior chuckled, snapping his fingers at two of the Escorts still along the wall. "You were right," he said, his voice bitter, "I should watch where you tread, Miss Ireland. You are dismissed of your position as Sorter. Until further notice you will ride as a Basic. Now get out."

The two Escorts were already at my side, their hands instantly grabbing onto my thin arms. I pulled away from their grasp, shrieking at my inability to do so. Bahrain stepped in front of me, his face now grave, his beady eyes piercing into mine, "Also, I heard word that a Mutt has somehow miraculously escaped from the Institution. You wouldn't know anything about that, would you?"

"Search my home," I spat.

Bahrain smirked, "We already have."

He nodded at the Escorts. They dragged me back to the elevator, my bag hanging at my elbow, my heels desperate to connect with one of their shins. I stared wide-eyed at the government men, watching in horror as my desk was torn apart. I didn't know what they thought they'd find, or what they hoped to gain. But regardless of intentions, there was one horrible truth. I was no longer a Sorter in the facility of District A.

"Get off of me!" I screamed, my elbow finally hitting one of the men in the gut. He let out a low breath and tossed me forwards. My knees hit the pavement with my bag crashing down after me. I caught myself with my hands, but my waist still rested against the ground. My body fell limp against the cold concrete. I glanced back at the facility, its tall structure seeming to mock me. The Escorts returned inside without even daring to look back at the woman they had just thrown out like a piece of trash.

By-passers only glanced at my distressed form for a moment before they averted their gazes and continued on with their mornings. I placed my palms flat against the pavement in preparation to stand. A sharp breath slipped past my lips, and I leaned my forehead against the cool, man-made surface of the planet.

My knees screamed from the fall, but I let them rest against the concrete as well. Lifting myself back to my feet seemed equivalent to scaling a mountain, or even worse, beating Bahrain. He stripped me of my power and kicked me to the curb within a short few minutes. I was like India now, with nothing to my name but a stupid little word and a few coins in my pocket. I still had my house, for now. The government could very well confiscate that too.

But as I lied there, the world swirling around me and small tears splashing against the ground beneath me, my possessions no longer mattered. My house could be taken, my top-of-the-line clothes shredded, and my career badge snatched away.

The government hadn't appreciated my digging into their preciously laid out rules. They were frightened by me. By my heart, my courage, and my intelligence. That wasn't even the half of it, however. More than anything else, they feared my voice. They were terrified of the idea that the Idols of District A and the rest of the New World would follow me.

Because they knew I was right. They knew that the Mutts were not the weaker beings, maybe even the superior. Their intelligence matched ours equally, and they knew very well that children were the only kind of beings that would fail the Section Exam. That was why they hunted those who didn't take it at age six. They were thinning the population, using the so-called weaker as slaves for their sick society.

My fingers curled up, my nails digging into the pavement. I felt the warmth of my blood as it trickled down my palms and legs. There was a saying that my mother used to say to me, she had said it was from the Old World. How did it go? Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.

That seemed like a very childish saying. It said a lot about the Old World. A small smile pulled at the corner of my lips. The Old World could have been as childish or unproductive, but I would rather recite that saying a billion times over than lay where I was. I pushed myself up, putting my feet under me to stand on shaky legs. I scooped up my bag and straightened out my dress once again.

The world spun before me as my dizziness slowly faded from my eyesight. I turned to face the facility, feeling shorter than I knew I was. Yet the smirk still grew across my face. I lifted my chin, ignoring the stinging of my scraped skin as I spoke, ever so quietly, "Welcome to the New, New World, where dreams are real and lives are saved."

~.~

A/N

Chapter 11! Continue, comment, vote, fan.. Thanks for reading(: