I is for I'm Stuck With You

A/n: In this one shot, Evan doesn't have a cast.  Just go with it.

Connor's Literature teacher was completely bonkers, out of his mind.  He assigned them the strangest projects at least once a month.  Today was one of those days.  As usual, Connor was indifferent.  He didn't really care about passing or failing, so the project didn't matter.  Connor didn't even care about who he got as a partner.  It was usually assigned, but sometimes...

"Everyone pick a partner! Only one partner, ladies!" Mr. Gil announced.

Connor didn't move from his desk.  It wasn't like anyone would willingly volunteer to be his partner.

"Mr. Murphy," Mr. Gil called.  "Do you need a partner?"

"No," Connor said bluntly.  "I can work by myself."

"I'm afraid, that for this project, having a partner is not optional," Mr. Gil surveyed the room.  His eyes landed on a small boy in a polo shirt who was sitting alone, apparently partnerless.  "Mr. Hansen you will be Mr. Murphy's partner.  Go sit with him."

The boy gulped and picked up his bookbag.  He timidly sat down in the seat next to Connor, not meeting Connor's eyes.

Up close, Connor realized that he had blue eyes that darted around nervously and dirty-blond hair that was combed to the side.  He was actually pretty cute in a dorky way.  He seemed like a good kid.  The type of naive kid who would do all the work.  Connor smirked.  Maybe this would be an easy A.

As usual, Connor hadn't been paying attention when Mr. Gil was explaining.  He looked over at his partner.

Meanwhile, Evan was freaking out internally.  He had been paying attention to when Mr. Gil had explained.  Handcuffed to their partner for a day.  If the handcuffs are still on when they come back to class the next day, the group gets an A.  Easy.

But Evan knew about Connor.  He had heard that Connor smoked drugs.  Evan did not want to get high.  Plus, Connor hated him.  He had pushed Evan just a few hours ago.

Mr. Gil placed the handcuffs on the table, startling Evan.  Connor looked up, confused.

"Good luck, ladies and gentleman," Mr. Gil smiled.

As if on cue, the bell rang.

Connor stared at the handcuffs.

"Ar-are you r-righthanded too?  I-it's fine if you ar-are, I don't mind using my other hand.  Idon'twanttoberudeoranything..." Evan stammered.

"I'm left-handed," Connor said.

"Well that's...great!" Evan chuckled awkwardly.

As Evan locked the handcuffs in place, Connor wondered why he was so polite.

Connor stood up, "Let's go."

"W-where?" Evan followed him into the hall.

Connor shrugged, "My house."

"Um, okay," Evan followed like a dog on a leash.

They started walking to Connor's house and Evan decided to introduce himself, "I'm Evan b-by the way."

"And I don't care," Connor replied.

Evan frowned.  Was he annoying Connor already?

Connor noticed the frown, "Sorry.  That's kind of like an instinct.  I'm guessing you know who I am.  Connor Murphy, the school's favorite druggie laughingstock."

Evan kept his head down.

"I guess I'm stuck with you now," Connor let out a small laugh.

Evan shrugged.