Z is for Zoo

A/n: the next round of letters starts next chapter!  Please leave suggestions/prompts for me to use.  This is more lil' deh because I love these kiddos.  Recommended by- crystalpixie4

  Recommended by- crystalpixie4

Enjoy!

It was the second to last week of school for the elementary students, nicknamed field trip season for the increased amount of off campus adventures and decline in lesson plans.

As Evan fiddled with the strings of his blue drawstring bag in the hallway outside of his first grade classroom, Heidi Hansen carefully handed her son ten dollars.

"Now when you want to buy a snack, you need to do it yourself, Evan," Heidi told him.  "Bring the money up to the nice worker and tell them what you want to get.  Can you do that for me?" She spoke slowly and clearly, reasoning that the more she articulated, the more likely the meaning of her words would sink in, unlike the field trip before this one, and the one before that, and the one before that.

Evan bit his lip and nodded, tucking the cash into his bag.  He knew that the ten dollars would soon be forgotten, and Evan would accept the lunch that his mommy made him.  Heidi once had even suggested that Evan give the nice teacher his snack money and ask her to buy him something.  But he never did.

But his mommy didn't need to know that.

"I'm proud of you, little guy." She ruffled his hair and bent down to kiss his head.  Evan wrapped her arms around the neck and clung to her.  He didn't want to go inside the class.

After a minute, Heidi caught on that Evan was stalling and gently pried his fingers loose.  Evan got the message and turned towards the door to his classroom.

"Behave," Heidi added before she left.

Evan nodded.  That he could do.

He wrapped his fingers around the handle and slowly opened the door, peering at the chaos.  Various kids in the green class shirt chattered excitedly, their conversation punctuated by the occasional whoop or yell.  The teacher and her teaching assistant were attempting to herd the students into a formation that resembled a line, but were failing miserably.  Every so often a child would dart back and forth to talk to friends in different places in the line.

Evan made his way from the door to the back of the "line", completely unnoticed.  He held on tightly to the strings of his bag as the exhausted teacher counted and recounted the squirming students.

Finally, they were being lead outside, towards the bus.  Evan didn't really like buses.  They didn't have seat belts and they were too wobbly.  He was never strong enough to open the windows either.

Right before the class boarded the bus, the teacher stopped them.  "The zoo can be a dangerous place.  To make sure that we're all following the rules and looking out for each other, we're going to split into pairs!  If you and your buddy don't get into any trouble, you get an A.  Choose your partner!"