U is for Umbrella

a/n: I haven't updated this in forever, but to be fair, I'm super focused on "Tick" (which you should totally check out) at the moment.  My stream of thoughts is camp camp and ideas for tick.

Times Square was chaotic in the rain.  New Yorkers clad in dark clothes and rain coats rushed around, all having somewhere to go, except Evan.  Evan stood with his bright blue umbrella, head tilted up towards the sky as droplets pelted down on his nose.  He stood still in a sea of moving people, watching as the rain fell. 

After being a shoved a couple of times, he decided that he was ready to return to the shelter of indoors and started walking again.  He was probably going to be late to work at the book store now.  He quickened his pace.

He raced down the block, growing more frantic as he went.  He couldn't be late.  He needed this job!  Evan skidded to a halt, nearly colliding with a tall man in black.  A stream of mumbled apologies immediately started flowing from Evan's mouth, for inconveniencing the stranger.  "I should've watched where I was going!   I'm so sorry!  This is all my fault!  I really didn't mean to!"

"It's fine," the stranger said.

Evan finally looked up to meet his eyes.

The stranger was nearly soaked, his long hair was dripping and his hoodie was drenched.

Evan bit his lip nervously.  "I can lend you my u-umbrella?"

"How do you know I won't steal it?" The stranger snapped.

Evan took a tiny step backwards.  "Because you..."

The stranger let out a mocking chuckle.  "Can't think of anything?"

"U-um you seem nice and you haven't shoved me," Evan blurted.

"Is that how you judge people?  By how they seem?  I could be a kidnapper or a murderer," the stranger scoffed.

"What would a m-murderer want with my umbrella?

The stranger rolled his eyes.  "That's not the point.  You can't be so naive."

"Well, are you?" Evan asked timidly.

"Am I what?" The stranger looked annoyed.

"A kidnapper or murderer?"

"I don't know, am I?" The stranger challenged.

Evan thought for a second.  "No?  I don't know?"

"How about you ask me one question to determine if I'll steal your umbrella or not," the stranger suggested.

"Why?" Evan asked, extremely confused.

The stranger shrugged.  "Do you have anything better to do?"

"Well, actually-"

"Just ask," The stranger interrupted.

"What's your name?" Evan finally asked his question.

"Connor Murphy."

"Okay." Evan handed the stranger his umbrella.

"That's it?" Connor frowned.

"If you were going to steal it, you wouldn't tell me your name," Evan explained.

Connor nodded.  "Clever."

Evan smiled.  "I'm Evan, by the way."

"Can I have your number?" Connor asked casually.

Evan blushed.  "U-uh what?"

"So I can return your precious umbrella."

"Oh! Yeah.  Of course." Evan pulled a pen out of his pocket and wrote his number on Connor's arm.

"I'll take good care of your umbrella, Evan."

"Their name is Alex," Evan mumbled.

"You named it!  That's really sad.  Don't you have friends?"

"...No."

"Oh."

"They identify as agender, asexual, and panromantic, as well," Evan added, completely mortified.

"You made it LGBTQ+ ? That's adorable!" Connor could not stop laughing.  "I'll make sure Alex is safely returned to you."  Connor waved as he walked away.

Evan stood there for a moment and then walked the rest of the way to work, wondering what the heck had just happened.

He spent the rest of the day awaiting and dreading a text from Connor at the same time.

At around six, right when he was leaving the book store, he got a notification.  He unlocked his phone hastily.

Connor Murphy:
Do you want to meet for dinner across the street from where we met?  There's a pizza place.  Alex misses you ;)

The winky face made his stomach flip and his heart do something funny.  Connor was asking him to dinner?  Evan thought that Connor was extra careful around strangers.

Without hesitation, Evan typed a quick response.

Evan:
Sure! ;)

His hand slipped and hit the semi colon by accident!  Evan panicked and tried to correct his mistake.

Evan:
*:)

Maybe he shouldn't have added the smiley face at all.  It seemed over eager and childish.  He had just met Connor today!

Evan face palmed.

Maybe the umbrella wasn't the only reason he wanted to go to dinner with Connor.