Chapter Thirty-Three

After her mom left for work, her dad dropped her off at Mayfield Local on his way to his job. Mayfield Local was their town's convenience store that sold almost everything she could think of. Zach had worked there since high school, and continued to work there when he wasn't commuting the hour to Albany University.

When she arrived, the door opened with its familiar chime, allowing Alissa to smile. Zach was behind the counter ringing up a customer. For such a small town, she felt as if she knew everyone, but, for once, she didn't recognize the lady at the counter. She was around her age with shoulder-length blonde hair. She leaned against the counter giggling at Zach.

Alissa raised her eyebrows seeing Zach's small grin as he told her to have a good day. The lady slowly walked passed her, making sure to sway her hips, as she left through the door. Alissa smirked as she walked up to the counter rolling her luggage behind her.

"Who was that?"

"I don't know. She moved here a couple of weeks ago."

"Seems like someone likes you." Alissa chuckled.

"What are you doing here?" Zach asked.

"I need a ride to the airport."

"I can't leave. Ask Hannah to take you." Zach began organizing things behind the counter. What was his problem, she thought.

"I don't have her number."

Zach handed her his phone with Hannah's number already dialing.

"Hey, baby," Hannah said after a few rings.

Alissa grimaced, "Hey, Hannah. It's Alissa. Are you able to drive me to the airport?"

"It's an hour away, though," she whined.

Oh, how she had wished Uber could reach her small ass town.

Alissa rolled her eyes, "I know, but no one can drive me. Zach said you could."

She sighed, "Okay, I'll be there soon."

"Thanks so much, Hannah. I really appreciate it."

"Yeah," she said as the call ended.

This was going to be interesting, Alissa thought.

~~~

They were ten minutes into the car ride and were already out of small talk topics. Alissa seriously couldn't see what Zach saw in this girl.

"So," Alissa started, then looked out the window.

Hannah sighed as she merged onto the highway in her small blue Volkswagen Jetta.

Fifteen minutes later and Alissa finally asked. "How have you and Zach been? The last time I saw you two was Christmas, and you weren't on the best of terms."

Was she overstepping her boundaries here? She didn't know, and part of her didn't care. All she cared about was finding out why the hell she was still with her brother.

"What's it to you?" Hannah said through gritted teeth.

Alissa turned to face her in the passenger seat, "Okay, you may think it's none of my business asking since it's your relationship, but it involves my brother, and if you're going to one day marry him and become my sister-in-law, I need to know why you two have so many issues and yet still stay together."

She may have let her mouth run, she thought.

"Wow, okay," Hannah said as she kept her eyes on the road.

"Like, why do you fight all the time? What do you even fight about? Are they serious issues or silly, stupid things like what parents bicker about? Zach doesn't tell me anything and I really need to know."