Chapter 10

Day after day passed, and an inattentive observer might have thought that everything at Hogwarts was as usual. There was nothing out of the ordinary. In the mornings, students and teachers gathered in the Great Hall for the first meal of the day before hurrying on to their lessons. In the afternoons, groups of all years and houses mingled in the library to study and do their homework. When they had some free time, they went into their common rooms for games, to chat and gossip, or to just wind down before curfew.

A more observant person, however, would have noticed that something wasn't quite right. Although fall was nearing its end and winter announced its upcoming arrival by shortening the span between dusk and dawn, letting outside temperatures drop dramatically, it was unusually dark, even for this time of year. Heavy clouds obscured the frosty sky, preventing daylight from penetrating their gloomy shapes. And it was quiet. Too quiet.

The students didn't seem to be bothered by the odd change of weather, however. Only two people at Hogwarts appeared to be more worried than was normal.

"Something is coming." Professor Dumbledore folded his hands behind his back as he watched students leisurely strolling through the hallways. "Something dark and powerful."

The black-haired wizard who stood next to him nodded meaningfully. "I know. It's approaching fast."

"Do you know what it is?" The Headmaster gave his confidante a concerned look.

Professor Snape shook his head, making long strands of hair brush his face. "No, but I have a feeling we will soon find out."

"Have you talked to Professor Quirrell yet? He might have some insight. It's his field of expertise, after all."

Severus furrowed his brow, irritated about Dumbledore's remark. The Headmaster chose to ignore it and kept his gaze focused on the students who were entering their classrooms.

"No, I have not," he answered sharply. "But if you wish, I will do so this..."

He stopped mid-sentence. There was a peculiar sound coming from underneath the stairs. Dumbledore had heard it, too, and now followed Professor Snape's gaze.

"Well," he patted the Potions Masters shoulder. "Let's find out, shall we?"

Together they walked down the hallway, and as they were approaching the stairs, the sound got louder. At the foot of the staircase, Dumbledore's steps came to an immediate halt, making Severus bump into him.

"Something, or someone, must be hiding under the stairs," the Headmaster whispered cautiously.

Annoyed about Dumbledore's unwillingness to move in either direction, backwards or forwards, Severus pushed past him and crouched down to investigate the tiny space under the steps.

His eyes grew wide in astonishment at what he discovered.

"Ms. Jones?"

Now Dumbledore, too, bent down so he could see the Hufflepuff student who had squeezed into that small hideaway spot. She was crying.

The Headmaster shot an accusing look at the Potions Master before getting up again.

"I'm sure you are capable of handling this by yourself," he muttered crossly, and left.

Severus cursed under his breath. What was he to do? He definitely was the wrong person to comfort anyone, let alone Ms. Jones.

He retrieved his wand to illuminate the space. It was way too dark to see much. As soon as the light hit Samara's face, her watery eyes met his, tears sparkling in the glow of his wand.

"Will you tell me what happened?" he mumbled somewhat awkwardly.

"You made everything so much worse, Professor."

Her accusatory words hit him in a most peculiar spot. His heart.

Dumbfounded by the sudden and completely unexpected emotion, he started to ramble.

"This is no place for a proper conversation, don't you think? I mean, it is dark, I can barely see you, and I'm not in the most comfortable position right now. Crouched down, I mean, not... Anyway, why don't you follow me to my office and we talk about it?"

Relieved that he somehow had gotten himself out of this, or at least had bought himself some time, he stood, and waited for Ms. Jones to crawl out of her hideaway.