Chapter 20

It was the morning before Christmas break. Samara Jones woke with a start. Blinking at the frosty sunlight that flooded her bed in the dormitory, she gradually recovered from the shock. She had had the strangest dream. As much as she tried, she couldn't recall what it exactly was about, but oddly enough, it had involved her Potions Master. She wasn't particular fond of him, to be honest. There was something intimidating about him that always made her fear his class a little bit. Of course, though, she wasn't the only one who felt this way. She glanced around the room to find Gaia and Esther still soundly asleep. A smile tugged at her lips. They, too, shared her fear. How strange it was that the professor would even haunt her in her dreams.

Quietly, so as not to wake the others, she crawled out of bed, ready to face the day. After all, she would be boarding the train in a few hours to go home for the holidays. Excited at the prospect of seeing her family, even though they had had some issues in the past, she began humming her favorite tune as she gathered her clothes and cosmetics, preparing to take a shower.

As she carelessly pulled out a towel from the top shelf of her closet, a small brown book fell onto the floor. Samara crouched down, examining its leather binding.

She did not recognize it. Whose book was this?

She skimmed through the pages, not reading anything, just searching for the possible name of its owner. There was none, but due to the fact that the book was handwritten and that the entries were dated, she was sure it was someone's diary.

Not wanting to snoop around in someone else's most private thoughts, she closed it again, and carefully put it back into the closet, storing it underneath her robes. She would find out whose diary it was and return it, but now was not the time. Now was the time to start a brand new day full of possibilities.

Author's Note: Thank you for reading this story! If you enjoyed it, please vote and/or leave a comment, and check out my other Professor Snape story, Another Kind of Magic

Also, a big thank you to

snowyzus

teachtaire

for voting and commenting!