Chapter 19

"Severus," she purred as he pulled her bare body close to his. Her eyes grew heavy, and she was about to fall asleep in his arms, exhausted but completely satiated and happy. She snuggled up against him, resting her weary head on his chest, seeking more of his comforting embrace. "I'm so lucky," her tired voice cooed. "I get to be with the love of my life."

Professor Snape closed his eyes, taking in the fresh scent of her hair. He was so torn, and had she looked up at him, she would have seen the tortured expression on his face. But since she was so sleepy, she didn't, and just continued to whisper oaths of love.

"I wish I could make time stop," she mumbled, already half asleep. "I want to stay here in bed with you forever."

A damp veil lay upon his vision, making it hard to focus on the petite body that was covering his. He swallowed hard, blinking several times to suppress his tears.

"I wish we could," he said slowly, his voice slightly trembling. "But, my darling, nothing lasts forever."

His hand played with a few strands of her hair, when she realized what he had said. Her head shot up.

"What do you mean, Severus?" He could tell she was looking for reassurance; his words had scared her terribly.

"I mean..." He trailed off, allowing his fingers to gently brush through her velvety hair.

"Yes?" she insisted, now even more desperate for consolation.

His hand dropped weakly back onto the sheets. "You do not deserve this."

Confusion spread across her face. "What, Severus?" Her voice was filled with anxiety. "What do I not deserve?"

He sat up, carefully freeing himself of the girl's hopeless grasp. He took a breath, steeling himself, steeling his heart for what he was about to do.

"I think it is time I confessed." He met her pleading gaze, devastating anguish clasping his soul. "I have never done this before, and be assured, my angel, I will never do this again. Ever." He paused, his hand looking for the silky skin of her cheeks. "I love you. I'm so in love with you, Samara, I want to hold you in my arms forever. But I want to protect you, and that is why I can't."

Now she was kneeling on the mattress, not caring that her body was completely exposed to him. He groaned at the sight, quickly averting his eyes. "I just can't," he repeated, utter sorrow in his words.

"What can you not do?" She reached out to him in a last desperate attempt for solace, but he evaded her touch and stood, grabbing some clothes to cover himself.

Grief-stricken, he looked down at her, reaching for his wand. "I can't hold you forever. I cannot be your forever. Please, forgive me."

The sky-clad girl in his bed began to sob inconsolably. Tears restricting her throat, she fought helplessly for air, in imminent danger of suffocating from the destructive heartache he was inflicting on her.

"I love you, Samara."

He leaned forward for a last intimate kiss. Frantically, her arms wound around his neck, trying to hold on to him, but he straightened his back again, leaving her desperate embrace. Towering over her, he permitted himself to drink in this girl's beauty once more, his girl's beauty, clutching the handle of his black wand in a death grip. His hand shaking, he slowly raised it, aiming the wand at Samara.

"What..." she cried out in panic. "What are you doing, Severus? Please! No!"

"Forgive me, my love" Professor Snape whispered, tears pricking his eyes, asking to be released. And then, his voice echoed through the cold silence, as firm and stern as it had always been.

"Obliviate!"