Chapter 12

"This is killing me," he confessed to Dumbledore later that evening, when they both were patrolling the school grounds. "She has to go."

The Headmaster stopped in his tracks, looking at him intently. "You don't mean that."

"I do," the Potions Master replied firmly. "She cannot stay."

"And why is that, Severus?"

"She cannot be around me anymore. Please." His voice had taken on a desperate tone.

Dumbledore raised his eyebrows in surprise. "My dear Severus! I barely recognize you. What are you so afraid of?"

Professor Snape took a deep breath. "I haven't asked for anything since... since... you know what. But now I'm asking you for this. Please, Headmaster, she has to leave."

Slowly, Dumbledore's eyes examined the professor's face carefully. "You are more affected by this than I thought."

Severus shook his head in frustration. "Can't you see that she is suffering as much as I did when I was a student? Whenever I look at her, I feel like I'm looking into a mirror that shows me my younger self. And what makes it worse is the fact that all her suffering is because of me. This is torture, Albus, it's killing me. I can't have an innocent girl go through this. I know what it is like to endure harassment on a daily basis, I know the damage it can do. You can't expect me to just sit back and watch this unfold."

"I think," the Headmaster concluded wisely, "this is not so much about the teasing. What truly upsets you is that her feelings for you remind you of your love for Lily. I know how much you loved her. I know how deeply heartbroken you were when you lost her as a friend, and ultimately lost her to James. You see a connection that isn't really there, Severus. She is not you, it is not about you and Lily. She is in love with you. It all comes down to what you make of this situation, not me or anyone else. Just you. If you don't want her affection, tell her so, but be gentle. I know how ... straightforward you can be. Explain it to her and she'll understand."

The Potions Master frowned. "I can't."

A slight smile lit up Dumbledore's face. "And why not, Severus?"

Professor Snape was spared an answer, since right then, a large black shadow began to form on the horizon, rising up into the night sky, clouding the already gloomy firmament.

Just as the two wizards were trying to determine the shadow's origin, Hagrid came toppling out of the Forbidden Forest, eyes wide in horror.

"She got loose," he screamed, stumbling in panic towards his colleagues. "She got loose! Save the kids!"

Dumbledore, as serene as ever, padded his shoulder, trying to calm him. "Who got loose, Hagrid?"

"Dagne," he panted, completely beside himself. "I don't know how this happened. I had her securely tied and everything. I just wanted to go feed her, when I saw the ropes were cut and she wasn't there anymore. Who would do such a thing? She's just a baby."

"Dagne," Severus hissed impatiently, eyes still on the shadow that was quickly coming closer. "Who is Dagne?"

"My dragon," Hagrid sobbed.

"Your..." Now, Professor Snape whirled around to face the Keeper of Keys. "What?"

"I'm sorry...," he cried. "So sorry this happened! I should have..."

Dumbledore raised his hand, making Hagrid fall silent at once. "We have to secure the school. I will send for a group of dragon trainers to..."

"I'll take care of it, Headmaster," Severus interrupted him.

"What?" Hagrid and Dumbledore both called out in unison.

"Severus, you can't..."

Again, he didn't let Albus conclude. "We don't have time. Go take care of the students. I will deal with Dagne."

He shot Hagrid a dirty look as he retrieved his wand and rushed into the direction of the Forbidden Forest, right towards the approaching dragon.