Coffee and Rings-3

I stood frozen as Mystery Girl approached me, her eyes wide and looking like she just saw a cow give birth to a goat, which is highly unlikely. She didn't take her eyes off me, as her long legs brought her closer to me until she was standing right in front of me.

She looked up at me with parted lips, her hands rising up as if to hug me, but suddenly going limp to her sides when she saw that I hadn't made a move.

"Max?," she questioned again, her voice now a few octaves lower as she was closer to me and didn't need to shout for me to be able to hear her, though I could hear her perfectly even if she whispered, what with my powers and all, but it wasn't like she knew that.

Which brings us back to the matter at hand. How does she know me? Is she someone from my past? Or did she mistake me for someone else?

Hope bubbled up in my chest, as I thought about how she could tell me who I was and how I died and put me out of my misery. I looked at her again, she looked vaguely familiar. This cafe felt familiar. Something inside me twisted as I looked into the same electric blue eyes that kept me awake for days just a year ago.

I shook out of my trance when Callie snapped her fingers in front of my face. Swatting her hand away, I looked at Mystery Girl once again, trying to remember if I know her. My mind came up blank, as it always does when I try to remember my past.

"Um....Do I know you?," I questioned uncertainly, confusion lacing my voice.

Her eyes widened again, if possible, her jaw dropping to the ground. Hurt was clearly visible on her face as she took a step back.

"You don't remember me?" Her voice quivered a little, her nose turning a light red and she looked like she was ready to cry. Panic rose in me making me want to run away. I can beat up ten persons with my right hand tied back and a blindfold on my eyes, but I wasn't really an expert in dealing with a crying girl .

I looked at John for help, not knowing what to do. John nodded his head a litlle, warning me with his eyes. I took a step forward, my left hand shooting up to run itself through my hair.

"Look, please don't cry. I am so, so sorry that I don't remember you. I was......", thinking of something that may seem reasonable, I continued,"..... in an accident which made me lose my memory. I don't remember anything except the last year, if it makes you feel any better. I am so sorry, just don't cry," I begged, the plead in my voice sounding pathetic even to my own ears.

Her head snapped up, her face going pale; the opposite it had been just minutes ago.

"You lost your memory?"

"Yes."

"You were in an accident?"

"Yes."

"Everyone thought you were dead", she stated, her lips still quivering.

I stilled. I wasn't really sure how I felt about everyone from my past thinking that I was dead when I was alive and breathing. My friends and parents were grieving my death while I was out fighting people they didn't even know existed.

"Can we sit and talk, please?", her sweet voice brought me back to reality. I nodded absentmindedly. She turned her eyes to someone behind me. I looked back to see John, Callie, Stella and Ashton standing there.

I had totally forgotten about them with all the thoughts running through my head.

"Hey, these are my friends. John, Callie, Stella and Ashton.", I pointed to each of them before turning back around. She gave them a shaky smile and a weak wave, starting towards the table she was sitting at earlier.