Coffee and Rings-9

I stood there staring at Trey even after Kimberly left for college. He was showing me all his toys, babbling about who brought it to him and why they brought it. About how he had been a good boy. About how he met many new friends. And about how he wasn't scared of Diesel anyore. He told it all with a little stuttering, and with little usage of big words.

I listened to it all patiently, and soon felt all my stress slowly fading away and a more carefree attitude take its place.

Darn! Are kids magical or what?

It hasn't been even half-an-hour since I saw him and I was already feeling like he was my own child. I had a protective feeling, and I almost created a security barrier around him which were used during battles with my power.

After telling me everything that happend during the time I went on a 'vacation', he again lifted his arms up, ordering me to lift him up and carry him to the living room. With a little laugh, I pulled him up and started walking, giving dramatic reactions to everything he was saying.

Eva was seated on the couch when I entered the main room. I faltered in my steps, alright, now, what exactly should I do? Do I just pretend like it was nothing and continue walking around everywhere or do I hand Trey over to Eva? Does she even want me holding her child?

With my decision made, I moved towards the couch and sat down beside Eva. She turned her head to look at me with a small smirk, but as soon as she saw Trey on my lap, her eyes hardened. Turning her head away sharply, she ignored Trey when he reached out to crawl over to her.

Um...., the heck? My eyebrows raised. Was it just me or was she acting weird when she saw Trey?

"Aww, baby Trey!," Callie exclaimed loudly and ran over to where I was. Practically snatching him from me, she placed him on her hips. Like I was a ghost, and wasn't even there, she started walking back to the kitchen asking what he wanted for breakfast.

My expression turned flat.

'Yeah, sure, Callie. Here, take him. I don't mind,' I thought sarcastically.

Sighing, I slouched back into the couch.

"So, are you settled in well?" Eva questioned, now positioned so that she could see me without having to move her neck. Unlike her tense posture when her child was near, now she looked completely at ease.

"Yup." I bobbed my head up and down like a clown as my nerves started acting up again.

Suddenly, she laughed. " You are nervous," she stated.

"Thank you, Captain Obvious. I totally didn't know that!" I put on a surprised tone to my voice and changed my expression to a shocked one.

"You are welcome, Lieutenant Sarcasm. I see, you are still the joker you were. Real funny."

"I am darn hilarious, alright."

We both looked at each other, then looked away. Then stared at each other again before pursing our lips and looking away again. When we shared a look again, we bursted out laughing. I didn't even know why we were laughing. We just were. Abruptly, we both stopped. An awkward silence filled the air. Okay, got to break the awkward air.

What to do? What to do? What t-?

"Do you know how big the biggest cookie ever made is?" I blurted out.

She looked at me, "That was really sudden, but no, why?"

I didn't really know the answer, afterall I only springed it out of impulse to break the silence, but ofcourse, she didn't know that.