Chapter Seven

I woke up later, around 3 pm. I hadn't realized after Sebastian left that I fallen asleep and I didn’t know why I had dreamt of the Jim I fallen in love with. As I stretched out the stiffness of my nap, there was a knock at my door. Two seconds later, Greg walked in and took his seat again.

       "Jayden-"

       "Greg-"

       We both spoke at the same time. Giving a small shake of my head and chuckling, I said the first thing that popped in my mind.

"How clichéd? Can we not have this be like the awkward talks in the movies after something dramatic happens?" I point a stare his way, trying to decipher the emotion on his face only to draw a blank at how well he hid his thoughts. "I mean it would only be cheesier if we simultaneously said ‘you go first’ and laughed shyly whilst looking at the ground."

He laughed, light and throaty,shaking his head, then said, "Always one to bring reality to a moment, but I suppose you're right; the clichéd movie talk just wouldn't do. However, we need to talk."

"About?"

"Jayden, don't play stupid. You're a smart girl."

I feigned innocence. "Why, whatever could you mean, Mr.Lestrade?" I gave a quick bat of my eyelashes. "I certainly would never play dumb. I have no clue what this could be about."

"Says the girl that can analyze entire situations with a mere glance and determine what happened. Anyway, I am referring to your need to protect this prick hurting you."

"I told you to drop it, you don't want to get in the crossfire, Greg." I crossed my arms and turned my head away from him, closing off the matter but knowing he wouldn't.

"I am fully capable of protecting myself, you are not and should listen to me. It doesn't have to be like this, he won't be able to hurt you from a prison cell, but I can’t do anything if you don't let me help."

"I already told you, I don't need your help."

"Stop being so damn stubborn! You would have been in a serious situation if I hadn’t shown up when I did. If I hadn't found you passed out like that, how much blood do you think you would've lost until Sherlock showed up?" I looked back at him when I heard his voice raise. His deep brown eyes were watching me harshly and I knew he would stay persistent. "And I just came back from a case where the wife was put in Intensive Care, and almost murdered, because of her husband..."

"Greg, that doesn't mean anything. So you saved me once. What do you want me to do? Buy you a balloon that says ‘congrats’? Maybe a thank you card to go with it?" I ignored the part about the case. I knew if I said anything, he would hold it over my head.

"No, I want you to admit you need help and give me this jerk's name! I won't watch you die! I can't!" He stood as he said this, turning to face the wall he leaned his forehead against its cool surface and banged his fist to the side, close to his face.