Chapter Twelve

“Jayden, could I talk to you for a minute?” John asked as I grabbed my phone from the table and started to reach for the door. I hesitated a second before turning around with a false smile.

                “Make it quick, I’m about to go get this thing off.” I held up my cast.

                “It’ll be as fast as you let it.” I gave him a look and he motioned to the chair across from him. I quietly sat down and watched him carefully. “You know…Sherlock told me everything; who you are, who you were, and even your relation to Mary. She told me why she asked you to lunch the other day.”

                I started to talk, but he held up a hand and continued, “I’m not judging you by any means. I just worry, because it seems that you’re what Sherlock would have become without any friends. You could do with some yourself.

                “We’re not close. I barely know anything about you passed what Sherlock has told me. But I’m willing to be that little voice in your ear that at least tries to help you.”

                A faint smile crossed his face and I couldn’t bring myself to look at him. Here he was, the ex-soldier, and then there was me, the consulting criminal. I had a red ledger that even if I could wash it out, it would only turn pink.

                “John, I appreciate what you’re doing here, I really do. And I can’t thank you enough. You’re wrong. I don’t need a saving grace, I’ve already got one…three actually. Sherlock, Greg, and you if you don’t mind being on that list.” I smiled over at the soldier and he let out what sounded like a sigh of relief.

                “I don’t mind being on that list at all. Now go on, don’t want to be late to the doctor,” he said as he stood up, trying to rush me out the door suddenly.

                I stood up and walked to the door. “Thanks, John,” I called over my shoulder as I shut the door.

                I ran out the front door of 221B and hailed a cab. When I got signed in at the doctor’s, they swiftly led me to a room where I sat patiently for five minutes before the door opened.

                “Well, you’re not the doctor,” I said with amusement as Sebastian Moran shut and locked the door.

                “And you’re an unlikely patient.” He shrugged and sat in the chair across the room. “You’re going to have to tell them eventually.”

                “I don’t have to tell anyone anything. And when they do find out, it won’t be from me,” I hissed darkly, my eyes locked onto his own dark ones. “Some secrets aren’t meant to be told by the person with the secret.”

                “I love this whole holier than thou act you have going on. It’s like nothing ever happened. It’s like I never trained you how to kill or like you never killed that entire bus full of middle schoolers in Florida.” He shot up from his chair in frustration. “Don’t forget who you are, Jayden Holmes.”

                “I already did by becoming what you trained me to be. If I wanted to be who I actually am, then Victoria Elise Holmes would probably living in her own flat in London. She’d probably be a history teacher and happily married to someone ordinary.”

                “But we both know that that’s not true,” he whispered in my ear. I pulled away from him and hit him with my cast, a shot of pain shooting through my still weak wrist.

                “Don’t even start with me, Sebastian.”

                “Then don’t give up who you really are, Jayden.”

                And he left.

                It was barely a minute after Seb left that the doctor walked in, bombarding me with questions. As soon as I got the burden taken off my wrist, I was rushing to St. Bart’s hospital. It took a little longer to get to the morgue without Sherlock pulling his strings as usual, but I still got there in a matter of minutes. My only obstacle was a certain Miss Molly Hooper.

                “Good evening, Molly. Gloomy out today, isn’t it?” I greeted boredly. “I need to see the body of the latest victim if you don’t mind. Actually, even if you do mind, I still need to see.”

                She gave me a sour look and I rolled my eyes. “I already told you, I don’t want any associate of Jim’s in my morgue. Past or present.”

                I scoffed. “Molly, please, love, give up this whole strong thing. It really doesn’t fit you all that well. Now, where’s the corpse?”

                “I’ll call security.”

                “I’ll call Sherlock, or better yet, Mycroft. Now, let me through.” She knew she couldn’t argue with the threat of Mycroft. I hated pulling the ‘government brother’ card, but it was exactly what I needed at the moment.

                She finally pulled the body out for me to inspect and I wasted no time trying to find anything I needed to help me.

                And I found it. I found what I needed to find this copycat.

                “Thanks Molly. I’m done here. You’ll never have to see me again!” I called over my shoulder as I ran off happily.

                I was just a couple of blocks from Baker St. when someone grabbed my from behind. I felt the sharp sting of a needle in my neck seconds before my world went black.

A/N: Sorry this one was so rushed. I  feel like it kind of sucked. Let me know what you think in the comments section.