- 9 -

Tessa slept most of the day after her mother left. She might as well have been drugged, so desperate was she for rest. The new schedule wasn't agreeing all that well with her biorhythms, she thought when she finally stirred to see the condo filling with the red light of a winter sunset. She felt as if she hadn't even rolled over on the couch, and she couldn't remember having dreamed.

For a few minutes she didn't move, looking up at the reddening ceiling, trying not to think about all the night might hold.

Somehow she suspected her new friends were going to try and keep her well and truly out of the fight. Heck, they'd probably try to lock her and Julie and Beth up right here.

Damned if she'd let them. Because as dead as she'd been in sleep, she'd apparently reached a conclusion of some kind: if she didn't take a stand with her pack and the vampires, she would never again have a hope of not feeling like an utter failure.

Yawing, she rose, wishing for a hot shower, but instead she went to make coffee for Beth. And where was Julie? Fear pricked along her spine. Wasn't Julie supposed to return before dark fall?

Suddenly wide awake, she quickly filled the coffeemaker with grounds and water, and turned it on. Then she went to the bedroom that was barred to her.

She hesitated, looking at it with loathing. It was a tangible reminder that she didn't belong her. She glanced over her shoulder at the sky, nothing the sun had sunk below the horizon, leaving red steaks in low-hanging clouds. Was it safe to wake them now?

She didn't know. She just knew Julie wasn't here.

So she hammered as loudly as she could on the closed door. The thud sounded dull, and she wondered if it was even penetrating to the room beyond.

Desperate, she pulled out her cell and called the M.E. office. A strange voice answered her. "I need to talk to Julie," she said, her voice tight.

"Dr. Matheson left a little while ago."

"Thanks." And she wasn't here yet.

She turned again to hammer on the door but before her fist made contact, it swung open and Kane slipped out.

"What's wrong?"

"Julie isn't back yet. I just talked to her office and they said she left a little while ago."

Kane scanned the sky "Ok." He turned, throwing the door open. "Asher. Julie's not at the office and she's not here yet."

As if conjured by magic, Asher appeared with a phone in his hand. "Julie? Where the hell are you?" Then, "I'm on my way. I'll be there in a couple of minutes."

"I'll go with you," Kane said as Asher disconnected. "Is there trouble?"

"Not yet. She was late leaving. She's in her car, but that's no protection."

"I'll go," said a third voice. Soren appeared behind Asher and closed the door. "They don't know me yet and I can watch over the two of you from a distance. Asher, you stay here with the women. Beth's still asleep, and Tessa needs protection."

Tessa needs protection. Tessa, for now, was getting awfully sick of hearing that, but she didn't know what she could offer right now. The vampire could get to Julie faster, and Tessa's paltry efforts to protect the woman would among to nothing to them.

Asher and Soren departed immediately, leaving Kane and Tessa alone in the living room as dusk deepened.

"Did anything happen?" Kane asked.