- 12 -

"Where is he?" Tessa demanded.

Asher had retreated to his inner office but left the door open a crack. "He has time."

"It's dawn."

"He just has to keep to the shadows. There's still time."

But Asher sounded sleepy, and Tessa was sure Kane must be feeling the same thing. The clock on the computer in front of her as she sat at Mackenzie's desk told her that actual sunrise had passed nearly a full minute ago.

Her heart was pounding with anxiety and she could barely hold still. But she had to. Asher had told her how to view the monitor and buzz Kane in when he arrived. Now she couldn't afford to be even two steps away from the button.

It was past dawn.

"What happens?" she finally asked.

Asher's reply was delayed. "Worst case? He falls asleep and when the first rays of the sun hit him he wakes up a torch. That's not going to happen. Kane's been around long enough to know the ropes."

"Dear God," she whispered, unable to bear even imagining it. Her entire chest squeezed as if it were bound in steel bans, and drawing a deep breath almost impossible.

Just as she thought she was going to shatter from the tension, she heard the buzzer and saw Kane's face in the camera. At once she hit the button to let him in.

She heard his steps in the darkened hallway and forced herself to wait. He was not moving quickly.

When he stepped into the light, she gasped. One side of his face appeared red, as if slightly burned. Blood soaked his shirt and his pants. Panic and horror filled her. Seldom had she felt the pangs of seeing someone she cared about so badly hurt, and it hurt her more deeply than any physical wound.

"I am all right," he said, but he didn't sound all right. He sounded weak and worn.

She leaped up immediately and went to him, slipping an arm around his waist. "What do I need to do?"

"Nothing. I will heal. I need food. Asher?"

"Here." The door to the inner office had opened and Asher stood there, looking sleepy. "Get in here before the sun gets into the office."

Tessa didn't know how much she was helping, but she kept her arm around Kane as he shuffled into Asher's office. He sank into a chair as if he were a falling stone and leaned forward.

She heard Asher behind them, closing and locking his office door. There were no windows in here, but she was quite sure that ultimately that only protected them from death. They would still need to sleep.

"Blood will help you heal faster?" she asked.

"I'll get him some," Asher said.

Before he could do so, Tessa pushed up her sleeve and held her wrist right under Kane's mouth. "Drink," she said.

"No," he whispered.

"Oh, shut up," Asher snapped. "You know live blood will work faster and we need you fit at sunset. The lady is offering. A gentleman never refuses a lady."

A near laughed escaped Kane. "Have you never?"

Before Kane could retort, however, Kane sighed, ran his tongue over Tessa's arms. She heard Asher go into his bedroom, but sensation utterly distracted her. She could feel the puncture, indeed couldn't feel anything except the sudden wakening of unimaginable pleasure. Never would she have dreamed that feeding a vampire could be nearly as wonderful as making love to one.