- Final -

A surprise awaited them when they returned to Asher's office. In a shadow, beyond reached of the moon, stood another vampire. Tessa stiffened as soon as the smell reached her nose. So did Kane.

"Put me down," she whispered. "You might need to defend yourself."

He lowered her feet to the snowy pavement but kept his arm around her shoulders.

Then Asher said, "Iain! Good heavens, man, where did you come from?"

"I got your message, but I was in Cologne. Do you have any idea how devilishly difficult it has become to cross the Atlantic? The damn customs people are even opening coffins these days because their dogs alert. Now, I ask you, do I smell like an illegal drug or explosive?"

Asher sniffed then laughed. "Not in the least."

Iain moved out of the shadows, showing himself to be about just a couple of inches short than six feet. He had raven-black hair, a Teutonic nose and somehow remind Tessa of pictures she had seen of knights engraved on old tombs in European churches.

"I suspect," Iain said, "that I'm, too late. I wandered around the city a bit before I came here, but you don't seem to be overwhelmed by other vampires."

"We took out a number of them tonight. At this point, we hope we're dealing with a small handful of newborns and one or two catastrophes."

Asher let them all into his office and turned on a dim light in deference to Tessa.

"It's good to see you again, Iain," Kane remarked. "How is Cologne?"

"As beautiful as ever, though getting a bit too big for my taste. I did get to enjoy the Cathedral bells a few nights ago." He looked at Tessa. "Have you ever been there? Well, they ring the bells only on very important occasions these days, maybe four to six times a year. But when they chime...Heavens! First the Dom bells begin...that's the cathedral...a very deep bell at first. And over the next ten minutes or so, other bell chimes in and then other churches until the sound is coming from everywhere. It's quite magical."

"It sounds like it." She smiled politely, wondering how Iain fit in, whether he might potentially be a threat and how he would react to her. She was relieved when Kane sat beside her on the couch.

"You must take her there," Iain said to Kane.

Tessa caught her breath in astonishment. What did Iain know and how did he know it?

"I'll think about it," Kane agreed. "I've been yearning to get back home, but if travel is as difficult as you say..." He shrugged.

"You can always travel in the wheel well of a plane." Iain chuckled. "It avoids the entire customs problem."

"That's how I crossed last time."

"I wish you had told me. I'd been here sooner and wouldn't have missed all the fun. I was sorry to hear about Violet."

Tessa looked quickly at Kane, fearing the reminder would cast him down or make him uncomfortable. But he didn't seem to react at all.

"She made some unwise choices," was all Kane said.

Before Iain could pursue the subject, Asher swiftly turned the conversation back to the rogues. "We still have to clean out the city. If you want to help, then we should get right to it. I don't expect we'll finish tonight, but the longer we wait, the more humans will die or be changed."

This time, Tessa didn't even suggest she accompany them. From what Kane had told her of newborns, she'd be worse than useless; she would be a hindrance since she was exhausted. Without complaint, she accepted Asher's offer to use his bed behind a locked door. She barely had energy left to wash up and change into a nightdress before she dove under the warm covers. She wiggled her toes in pleasure, tried not to think about Danica's harsh words and her father's anger, and fell into a sleep so deep she was hardly aware of it when Kane slipped in beside her and wrapped her in his arms.