- 10 -

***Please know that this chapter will contain situation inappropriate for children under 15 years of age.***

He would be vulnerable. There was nothing as vulnerable as a vampire in the throes of passion, not even a sleeping one. Even if he didn't drink from her, he'd be locked in the moment that he would notice nothing but the desire and Tessa.

This was not the place or time, some still-sane part of him argued. All those exposed windows, two human women and another vampire who might emerge from their rooms at any moment...

Not the place. Not the time. But he couldn't seem to let go of Tessa, couldn't seem to free himself from the miasma of desire long enough to think. He needed to think.

All he could think was that he needed to take Tessa somewhere. But he couldn't do that because he was guarding them all right now. He had a duty.

He swore as he tore his mouth from Tessa's. "Not now," he said hoarsely. "Not now. Not safe."

With a supreme effort of will, he vaulted away from her and across the room. When he dared to look at her, her expression nearly crushed him.

She looked so forlorn, yet sleepy still from passion awakened. Disappointed. Abandoned.

Oh, he was so brilliant. All those feelings that tormented her about being not good enough had just been fed by his moment of thoughtless. He very nearly hated himself.

"It's not safe," he said again. "We have no privacy. Those windows wouldn't hold back a determined vampire. I'm on guard duty."

She gave a little nod, her eyes wide and wounded. And her chin quivered again.

He swore in French and turned his back.

Then, as if summoned by his frustration and worries both, Soren emerged from his bedroom. He paused on the threshold, tasting all the emotion in their air. He could probably read them as clearly as a letter.

Then he looked straight at Kane. "I'll take over now. Beth is feeling restless and wants to write. You two get some rest in the bedroom."

Kane had never before looked at Soren as the devil incarnate, but in that moment he very nearly did. The temptation was almost more than he could bear, and he was sure Soren had figured it out.

But of course, Soren had claimed a mortal woman. Why should he think it so bad if Kane did the same thing? He didn't know. Soren couldn't possibly know the agony of a claiming ended. He hadn't had to face it, so how could he truly perceive the dangers to both Tessa and Kane in this craving?

Then he looked at Tessa, read all her doubts, insecurities and fears, and knew that if he were damned eternally he couldn't leave her this way.

"Merci," he managed.

Beth followed Soren out. She seemed to sense the tension, looked at them in perplexity and said, "I'm sorry. Am I interrupting? I have a deadline and the ideas started flowing. I have to write unless it'll cause problems."

Kane waved her grandly toward her desk, right next to Soren's in front of the windows. "Please madam."

"I, um, changed the sheets for Tessa," Beth said. Then she rubbed her eyes and headed for the desk.

Kane didn't say another word. He was past pretending a damn thing. In a flash, he scooped Tessa up and carried her into the bedroom, kicking the door closed behind them.

He put her on the bed with reasonable gentleness then opened the small refrigerate Soren kept near the bed. He pulled out a bag of blood, extended his fangs and started drinking. And he made sure Tessa could see.