Trifling Waters and Wavering Decisions

"You foolish, foolish boys! Do you realize what could have happened?!" Captain Hadsen yelled at the three stowaways on his ship. "Did you truly believe you could hide below deck for three days and not be found?! My men do inventory twice a day down there!"

Monty and Dave stayed silent as they sat before the captain, heads lowered in shame and their arms bound at the small of their backs.

"You are lucky we are a merchant fleet! Try something like this on a pirate ship and they would tie a cannonball to your ankles and sink you like the cowards you are!" the captain banged his hand on the desk before him causing the papers and candles to shake.

All three stowaways jumped simultaneously and Alby bit his lip nervously, "What will happen from here captain?"

The captain moved his hypercritical gaze to the blonde prince and frowned deeply. "We already sent a raven to your guardian informing them that when we arrive at Port Crispin in the morn that you are to be sent home right away. They will arrange to have someone meet you once we are fully docked."

Alby let out a frustrated sigh, "Please Captain Hadsen...I can pay you an excellent sum of money if you just act like you never saw me...I could perhaps slip away when we dock and your men are delivering their cargo?"

The captain let out a booming laugh causing Alby to jump again, "And risk my forty-two year reputation and career on the fantastical whims of a spoiled prince?! I think not, your highness. Our country is in a delicate situation as it is with the ascension of your brother and the reoccurring attacks on our sister fleets."

"I thought there was peace in the seas around Nivarre?" Alby naively asked.

"Things have not been peaceful for over five years, boy. Ever since your father became sick and the country's influence has waned, more and more privateers are daring to tread into our territories," the captain scoffed at the boy's naivety.

"I...I had no idea...news from the capital does not reach us on the coast for a long time and I suppose they intentionally did not tell me this..." Alby sighed.

"A wise move on their part. You have no need to concern yourself with political matters, boy-prince. Instead I will return you to play the role of good prince along the coast," the captain stood up, his height very intimidating, as was his sharp, navy uniform.

"And you two are lucky I don't have time to bother with charging you for stowing away on my ship. You are both to return to your posts at the estate with the prince. I will let your employers deal with you however they see fit," he snapped his fingers and Monty and Dave were roughly yanked up by two of the captain's men.

"Lock them in the barracks below. The prince will be staying in my quarters, as is the custom when a royal visits, or in this case...steals away, on any of her fleets. I will be bunking in First Mate Dudleigh's quarters and he shall bunk with the rest of you lot." Snapping his fingers, the two bound servants were dragged away without any struggle.

Alby now stood awkwardly before the brooding captain and was too ashamed to meet his hard gaze. "I...apologize for all this, sir. It was never my intention to inconvenience you...or your men. I just was eager to get away from the coast and discover what the sea had to offer..."

The captain's gaze softened a bit at this, "I understand the appeal of seeking freedom aboard the sea. That is a reason many of my men enlist within the royal navy. But you could have been seriously injured, Prince Albert. What if some criminal became aware of your location and stole you away? Imagine what grief it would bring to your mother...so shortly after the death of your father."