Changes on the Horizon

The distant yet persistent cawing of seagulls is what forced the captain from his deep sleep. Sebastiano had little memory of what occurred last night once he had joined Alby in his rooms below deck.

The cawing grew a bit louder and with a groan he opened up his eyes and squinted at the bright morning light streaming in through the windows behind his desk. Those deep navy orbs then traveled over to a small circular clock that rested upon a bookshelf and read the time.

"Already so late in the morning?" he grumbled and stretched his arms overhead and felt several cricks along his neck and spinal cord as they straightened out.

As he went to run a hand through his mussy hair, he was surprised to feel it was coated in a dry, crusty substance. Glancing at his hand in bewilderment, his eyes widened in realization as he looked over and saw several similar patches of dry, crusty spots atop the dark bed's surface and between Alby's thighs.

"The boy must have been quite pent up," he crookedly grinned as he observed Alby's slumbering face. The prince looked so peaceful and protected on his side of the bed that was pressed against the wall. "Right where he belongs," Sebastiano growled in pleasure and stroked a finger across a cherubic cheek.

After such a strenuous night, Sebastiano wanted to allow his princely captive to rest as long as he wished. Standing up, he stretched further before deciding to dress for the day. He tugged the curtains closed to darken the room so as not to awaken Alby. Deciding to go below deck and eat his breakfast among his men, a rarity for the captain, he dotingly smiled once more at Alby before quietly shutting and locking the door behind him.

The irritating and incessant cawing of the gulls disappeared as he entered the lower levels of the ship towards the kitchens and messdeck where his crew assembled three times daily to eat their daily vittles.

Due to it almost being ten in the morning, the only crew that remained was a young boy named Isaac who was busily scrubbing the floor on his hands and knees. "Good morning boy. Is Giacomo still around?" Sebastiano inquired in his deep voice.

Isaac gasped and almost tipped over his bucket of hot, sudsy water. "C...captain!" he immediately stood up, breeches soaked from water as he saluted him respectfully. "Yes sir. I do believe that Giacomo has already began preparations for today's lunch."

"Very good," Captain Mason nodded his head, "Good work boy," he complimented the speechless teenager as he walked by ever so confidently. The captain had never once directly addressed Isaac even though he had been aboard the Lorelai for over three years. Therefore he was extremely honored and bewildered that the captain noticed that he was doing a hard and thorough job with all his chores, not slacking at all.

Sebastiano pushed open the swinging door that led to the tiny, cramped kitchens where Giacomo was busy cutting up fresh vegetables for a hearty stew he planned to make for lunch. "Good morning Giacomo," the captain said.

Giacomo looked up with polite nod of his head as he dabbed at his sweaty face with a kerchief. "Good morning Captain. Is there anything I can get you today?" he set his knife down and stepped forward to immediately assist his superior.

"Yes. A cup of coffee would be divine as would some fresh bread and fruits to be sent up to my room as soon as possible," the captain requested.

"Yes sir! Isaac is almost done with his cleaning. I will have him prepare an entire pot of coffee as I gather your requested food items. They will be delivered within the half-hour," the chef explained.

"Very good," Sebastiano nodded his head respectfully, "As you were."

With those familiar and heavy footsteps, he ascended the creaky steps to the deck of his ship. Milo was at the helm, as two other men stood by clasping maps, a compass and a spyglass.