Rough Seas, Edges & Reactions

A cool breeze wafted over Sebastiano's bare chest and he shivered, blindly reaching for a small, warm body to clasp against him for warmth. But all his hand met was the feel of cool, navy sheets. With a growl of annoyance he opened his eyes, blinking back the bright sunlight flooding into his quarters.

His men had pulled the heavy velvet drapes across his windows the night before when they had prepared his room for the night – complete with fresh sheets and a platter of assorted fruits and breads.

Alby was nowhere to be seen and yet the door was still locked from the inside. The door to the privy was wide open and there was nowhere else the youth could attempt to hide from the captain.

Suddenly a cool breeze washed over him again and caused his hair to ruffle slightly.

Sebastiano's eyes narrowed as he regarded a half-empty plate set amongst his scattered maps. Then he realized where the breeze and infiltrating light were coming from! The door to his small balcony was left wide open and the smell of the ocean wafted in with a stronger breeze, causing a few maps to flutter to the floor.

Grumbling under his breath, he kicked off the blankets and embraced the chilliness of the room. Despite it being May, things were always chillier at sea – especially within his larger and drafty quarters.

Captain Mason walked barefoot across the cool floor of his room and out onto the balcony. The sun had just breeched the horizon and he finally caught sight of Alby.

All the angry words he was going to chastise the boy with completely left his mind as he gazed at the young boy in surprise.

Alby was clasping a map against the rail of the balcony and was using a sextant to study the last fading stars along the horizon as the sun slowly was rising higher in the beautifully hued sky. Orange, pink, purple and gold splashed across the sky and reflected off the water. The light shining down on Alby, gave him an ethereal glow and the captain noticed how much more golden his hair appeared.

Shaking his head, he frowned that the boy was using his own navigational tools and private maps. Not even his first mate was allowed to touch such personalized belongings of the fearsome pirate captain!

"What in the hell are you doing out here so early, boy? We just went to sleep not even three hours ago!" the captain was suddenly clasping Alby's shoulder in his firm grip.

The boy jumped in surprise and looked up at the captain, a smile as bright as the rising sun plastered across his face. "Can't you see it!?" Alby pointed out to the distant horizon.

The captain raised a brow at both Alby's excitement and the confusing flutter within his chest that occurred when Alby smiled at him so radiantly.

"Come, come! Look and see! It only happens twice a year! You can see Venus on the horizon for only eight minutes as the sun rises!" Alby eagerly pointed to the brightly twinkling star in the sky. "It looks like a regular star...but it shines much brighter!

That is because it is so close and a planet! I knew it was going to occur soon...but to have a chance to view it at sea is amazi...."

Alby was cut off when the captain suddenly plucked the map and sextant from his hands, hoisted him over his shoulder and smacked him firmly on his bare ass. The prince let out a sob of confusion as he was struck four more times on his tender, bare ass.

"Five smacks for being disobedient five times: leaving my bed without permission, eating breakfast without permission, sneaking outside onto the balcony without permission, using my maps without permission and daring to touch my prized sextant without permission!" Sebastiano growled at the youngster as he dumped him carelessly onto the bed.