facing the truth (end)

"Alright. Let's warm up."

Daichi lead his team into one of the empty gyms. It was small and cramped than their usual gymnasiums, but it'll do. The ceiling was low and the court wasn't even a full one. Daichi huffed, dragging the ball rack with him anyways.

"Daichi," Suga murmured quiet enough for only Daichi to hear. "I'm so... scared."

The feeling is mutual, he wanted to say. He bit his lip to stop himself from saying that. "Don't be. This won't be our last."

They have finally beaten Shiratorizawa, claiming the best Boys Varsity team in Miyagi. The overwhelming thought made Daichi stay awake for the rest of the night after the five continuous set against Ushijima and his teammates. His body was sore from the hit, which he wouldn't dare blame Tanaka of, but it felt so good winning.

Standing in Tokyo for Nationals gave Daichi the chills.

Despite the adrenaline running, he couldn't look Suga in the eyes. "I know that, but," Suga let out a shaky breath. "I'm not even playing. I feel so-"

Daichi has never turned his head so fast. "Don't even say it, Koushi."

Startled, the silver-haired twitched. "It's okay. I'm fine,"

Daichi grabbed a hold of Suga's wrist and dragged him away from the team towards the public washroom. He can feel the other's hand clenching but went along with the captain anyway.

Suga's head was faced down, away from Daichi's sight. "Suga..."

Somehow, Daichi's heart ached. It wasn't an often occurrence to see the person with the strongest mentality break down. Right in front of someone, even.

Without any hesitation, he cupped the crying face, wiping away his silent tears. "You're not, in any way, useless. You're the vice-captain for a reason, Suga. Heck, you might even be better than me when it comes to leading the team-"

"No! Don't say that," Suga exclaimed. "No one can replace you, Daichi."

A flutter in his stomach threw him off a little, but he ignored it. "Haha, I'm the one who's supposed to be comforting you, not the other way around."

Are they getting closer? Suga shook his head and laughed. "But you really are perfect for the role, Daichi."

He looks kind of gorgeous like this. "Hmm, I wouldn't survive without you, though."

Suga looked happier now. He somehow wants to kiss him. "That's right, of course, being the smarter one and all that."

They're both leaning in, aren't they? "Yeah..."

Neither of them looked away once they locked eyes. Daichi can feel Sugas breath around his lips, suddenly licking his own, making him more aware of what's happening.

This isn't right. They both thought.

It feels nice, though, tasting Koushi's lips for the first time. His lips tasted salty from the tears he recently shed, but the action was sweet. Suga was earnest though, his mouth open, inviting Daichi.

The French kiss didn't last long because Daichi slowly pulled away, not looking at Suga anymore.

He wants more.

"Sorry, Suga. I can't do this. I'm not - I'm dating Michim-"

"Yeah, I know." Suga laughed, confusing Daichi. It didn't sound angelic to his ears. "You're such a bad boyfriend, Daichi. You're not supposed to do this, you know! You're straight and in love with Michimiya!"