Prologue

I was born to die. I am alive for the sole purpose of saving humanity, but in doing so, I must give up my life. It is said that my eighteenth birthday will trigger the apocalypse; that is what I've been told my whole life. To stop the apocalypse, I will be killed, a fact that took me almost eighteen years to accept.

I was born into the Northern Society, one of the four main sections of the world. In the year 2078, the world succumbed to a devastating war, which killed more than half of the entire population. As a result, those who survived were gathered together by the Gods to create a plan to ensure that history would never repeat itself. They split the world in four, a plan that has worked for over a century.

When this plan was enacted, people were randomly selected to test out the Gods idea. Everyone was devoted to keeping the peace and the world hasn't gone to war since. That was until the day I was born. Seventeen years ago, Margretta and Ry Gale, had a child; me. I was different from every other child in the four societies. My golden eyes first marked me as strange, but as the years pasted it was what I didn't have that made me special. I was born ungifted.

Humanity is gifted, I am not. The Gods blessed us with gifts in hopes of giving us a reason not to go to war. The United are gifted with the ability to mend. The United fix what is broken, whether it is something as simple as a cracked mirror or as complicated as a broken soul. The Valiant are gifted with strength. They are the strongest people on the planet-lifting boulders with their pinkies and sending skyscrapers to the ground with a simple push. The Noble are gifted with decision, the Merciful are gifted with mercy, the Gravels gifted with the ability to control nature, the Sparkers gifted with control over electricity, Racers can fly, Veils can hide behind invisibility, and so on.

Now, people intermingle between groups so new gifts were created. Therefore, me being born without any type of gift is astonishing, but not completely unheard of. I am the only one of my kind, but I'm on death row for a reason.

There's a story passed down by generation after generation that was always told, but never truly believed-until it came true. Here is how the prophecy goes: an Ungifted child will be born and on their eighteenth birthday they will be given a curse. This curse will be the end of humanity, as it will give the Ungifted child an evil power so strong and undefeatable-the whole world will suffer. This suffering will give way to the apocalypse-eliminating humanity and allowing evil to take control.

I was born good and will die good, but my fate has other plans. I am destined to become evil, everyone knows it. That prophecy isn't simply a story; it is a warning. The Gods left the original survivors of the war with this prophecy. The survivors were told to prevent this evil and prove to the Gods that saving the humans was the right decision. I have a feeling that if we don't stop the apocalypse, the Gods will kill us before evil gets the chance to.

So, as you now understand, I was born to die. My Society didn't want to make me feel like that though. In the Northern Society, I was around a lot of accepting people. The Northern Society wanted to make me feel like I was helping humanity, not ending it. So I didn't grow up hated or feared, people don't call me the Ungifted or the Bringer of Evil.

They call me The Salvare.