Chapter Two

I stand in front of my mirror wearing my best dress. It's a floor length, white, satin gown with a beaded neckline. I'm not sure if people typically go shopping in fancy dresses, but this day is special to me. Delmi knocked on my door twenty minutes ago telling me to get ready. After slipping on a pair of matching heals, I head out of my room. The guards immediately surround me, forming a protective circle. Delmi leads us to the princess's room and she appears dressed in jeans and a simple, green blouse.

She looks at me with her soft smile and sympathetic eyes. "I may be a bit over dressed," I say.

Her laugh is light, "You look beautiful, let's go."

Four of my guards leave and three stay. We head to Sahil's office to inform him that I am leaving the palace. The thought makes me smile. I am leaving the palace; for the first time in years I will be breathing in the outside air.

Sahil sits at his office riffling through the same papers he was yesterday; they must be important. He looks up at us and pushes his glasses up higher on the bridge of his nose. "Leaving so soon?"

"Yes, your daughter has invited me to go shopping."

"Has she now?" His confusion is evident and I look down in embarrassment. I nod and look to Anahi who is also nodding her head.

"Well, alright. General Kai will accompany you and I want a call every hour."

"Of course, thank you." I smile, eager to leave his office and this palace.

Before I leave though, Sahil stops me, "Salvare, keep your head down and don't look anyone in the eyes."

"I won't, I promise." To be honest, I haven't even thought of my eyes. Obviously people will think them strange, but will they hurt me for them? I turn slightly, but freeze when Sahil's voice rings out after me, "And Salvare..." he says, "enjoy your day."

"Thank you, Sahil. I most definitely will."

"You were right, you deserve to live, and I'm sorry I've never given you the chance to." He sounds as if he cares for me, so unlike him.

"You have given me seventeen years and I can't thank you enough for that. When everyone wanted me dead, you gave them a reason to for me to live."

"Well, you are The Salvare. You will save us all one day." I smile at him and finally leave his office. Anahi stays behind to say a few words to her father, but is quick to join me.

"Are you ready?"

"Yes, I am." As we walk through the palace in search for the front door, the silence between us soon becomes awkward. I rack my brain for something to say and settle on a simple question. "Why did you ask me to come with you?"

Anahi looks at me and her eyes lighten even more, I never knew a person could pity someone so much. "Well, I know you don't have many friends-" more like no friends- "and you finally get to leave the palace. I figured I could show you around the society and bring to a couple of my favorite places."

I try to find words that will make her understand I don't want her pity, but she has a point. I don't have anywhere to go and with her help, I can explore the society without getting lost. "Thank you, for thinking of me. I really appreciate it."

"No problem, this will be fun." Yes, I want to say, it will be fun and awkward and scary and new and amazing and everything in between. "Do you have any money with you?" Anahi asks me.