Chapter Eight

Back in the familiar hallways where the Ungifted reside, I let Tulsa lead me to Nome. She wanted me to head to the infirmary first, but I eventually convinced her that I was fine. Physically, at least.

When I enter the Caretakers room, where Tulsa said he was, I immediately search for him, but find Winn instead. His eyes seem to land on me at the exact time mine land on his. He seems visibly relieved and walks up to me. When he's close enough, Winn circles his arms around me and engulfs me into a hug. My arms slowly wrap around him and my eyes close. I've never been hugged before.

"I heard what happened. Are you okay?" Winn mumbles into my hair. He pulls away, but keeps his hands on my shoulders. "Stupid question, I know. Is there anything I can do to help you?"

"You already helped," I say, telling the truth. He looks honest to god, worried about me. It makes me believe that he cares about me, a girl he just met. He smiles down at me and I can't help but notice how different his smile is from Anahi's. His smile is friendly, whereas Anahi's smile always masked her pity. Winn doesn't pity me and he actually cares about me; he's helped me in ways he will never understand.

I stare at Winn now, grateful that I met him. "There is actually something you can help me with." I give him a persuasive smile.

"Name it." He says, not at all annoyed that I need his help.

"Can you bring me to Nome? I really want to check on him." An odd expression crosses his face, "I can bring you to him, but umm..." His eyes flicker around the room nervously.

"What?" I ask, worry growing in the pit of my stomach.

Winn looks all around the room again and gently grabs my arm. He drags me to the side of the room and whispers down at me, "Did they say anything to you about Nome?"

I follow his lead and lower my voice, "No, why?"

"It's probably nothing, but they've been doing some tests on him. Which isn't odd because every child gets a physical, but the tests done on Nome are not included in regular physicals."

My worry festers, making me sick to my stomach, "Is he sick?"

"I don't know. They did MRI's and eye exams and even drew his blood. I heard a rumor that they might bring in a specialist to examine his psychological health." His voice is so low that I have to strain to hear him.

"Have you noticed anything wrong with him?"

Winn scrunches his thick eyebrows together, "See, that's the thing. He acts like every other child that has just been rescued. A little scared and reserved, but kind. I've spoken to other people about him and they all say he seems normal."

"So why the tests?"

Winn stands up straight and looks completely baffled, "I don't know."

"Has anyone here hurt him?"

"What?" Winn asks. "No, I wouldn't let anyone hurt any of the children."

I smile at his honesty, "You are perfect for the caretaker position."

Winn grins at me and he no longer seems nervous, "Thank you."

"You're welcome."

"I think you would be good caretaker," Winn comments.