Chapter 22

After stopping seven times for Amanda and filling up twice, they finally reached the house, before dinner the next day.

"Doc, hand me a piece of paper and a pen. I'm sorry to show up again, but this is really important. Hurry please," Amanda said.

Shaun dug through the papers in the centre console and passed the pen to her, along with a receipt.

"Give this to her first thing in the morning. Do not let her look at the documents. Not yet," She said as she started writing, while staring straight ahead of her.

Shaun took the pen and note and her head flopped to the side again. Shaun stared at the folded note for a few seconds and the click of the door opening, woke Amanda. She stretched as he got out and walked around the car.

"Why did you let me fall asleep? How long have I been out for?" She asked.

"Not that long," Shaun said as he pulled her door open.

"You change. Aunty Linda came," Mandy shouted.

Amanda stopped as she got out the car.

Shaun held up his hands and said, "Just for a second. She has a message for you, but I'm meant to give it to you first thing in the morning. If you want it now, I'll give it-"

"No. If she said first thing in the morning, then she had a reason to do so. I'll get Mandy, if you get the door for us," Amanda said.

"I'll get the lights too. I've never been here, so it will be my first time seeing the place too. I'm really excited to see this place," Shaun said and then ran to the door. He found the key where Melinda said it would be and turned the patio lights on.

"It's pretty, Daddy!" Mandy squealed.

The lights in the garden had come on along with the patio lights, highlighting the small ornaments that decorated the lawns.

"Uncle Chez made some of these when he was a small boy. I didn't know that they brought them here," Shaun said stumbling down the path, trying to see all of it at once. "I remember that turtle he made when he was only two. We said it looked like a rabbit in a tortoise shell. That dragon..."-Shaun cleared his throat.-"He made that before they passed away. He gave it to Mom as a present on his fourth birthday. He said it was a thank you present because she kept him going for four years," he said.

He kneeled down in the path and stared ahead of him. "The witch was a bit of a joke. He said that she was unlike any witch he had read about in fairy tales. She didn't have warts and only did good, not bad. I helped him with that little cradle. I had to carve and shape the wood exactly how he wanted it. I made a mistake with the one leg and he insisted that I do it over. He didn't want it to look bad when he gave it to them."-Shaun smirked remembering the happier days.-"His life consisted of sitting in a heated room, building and shaping all these little ornaments. On the good days, we went to the park. He loved the swings. Luke and I took turns pushing him, but it was never high enough. He used to lisp when he got excited. Uppity Sky, Saun. Uppity sky," Shaun said.

He turned a full blown grin at Amanda. She giggled and walked over to him. "He is a very talented boy and I am glad he no longer has to suffer. At least one good thing happened this weekend, right?" she asked.

"More than just one. I met you and he met Jenna. We got to meet Melinda, though I would prefer a warning before she takes over that gorgeous body of yours. I'm grateful to her though. She brought us here and I got to remember my parents again. And, she also healed Chez. I'll always be grateful for that. He had a very lonely and painful childhood," Shaun said.

"I'm glad you got to see all this, but is there any chance we can go inside now? I love this shirt, but my ass is freezing," Amanda said.

Shaun jumped up and led them up to the patio. "Sorry. I don't really feel the cold that much. I'll get a fire started for us," he said.

"I'll do the fire. You can make us some coffee and some heated milk with a dash of nutmeg for Mandy," Amanda said.

She bobbed her head, grinning at Shaun. "I'll see if there is any nutmeg. If not, how about some hot chocolate?" Shaun asked.

"Are you crazy? Do you have any idea how much sugar they put in hot chocolate? You don't want her bouncing off the walls the whole night." Amanda rolled her eyes and looked at Mandy. "Daddy doesn't know anything about little girls. I think we better go make that milk for you and leave him to make the fire."

"Uh-huh," Mandy said nodding her little head.

"Hey, no ganging up on me. It's not my fault that I have to work all the time," Shaun said defensively.

"The first years are the most important. Work will still be there if you leave it for a while. Childhood disappears faster than you realise. Now, get this place warmed up and the two of us, will head to the kitchen. You hungry? You hardly ate anything while we were driving and I never saw you eating breakfast this morning either," Amanda said.

"I could eat. I had breakfast before you woke up this morning, but I didn't want to wake you two or stop for too long, so I had a burger and fries," he said.

Amanda walked off with Mandy on her hip and he started the fire, watching her hips sway, as she move around behind the counter that separated the kitchen from the living room. He ran his hand over the fluffy carpet, subconsciously, thinking about the events of the last few days. His life took a sever turn since he met Amanda and he felt free for the first time. The thought of telling her about the other kids, still plagued him, but he did not want any secrets between them.