0.3

Samantha Porter stayed hot on Edison's heels as he sprinted north on Washington Street. They were briefly delayed by the traffic light, but after a few torturous minutes, they were heading east on Whitewater Avenue. There was a hostage situation at the city bank, and they were only a few blocks away when they got the call.

Samantha always loved the feeling that came with saving the day. The adrenaline rush was like a natural high, and she just couldn't get enough of it.

Edison carved their path through the growing number of civilians. It was getting close to rush hour, and everyone was getting out of work.

As they got closer to the bank, Samantha tried to peer over people's heads, but she couldn't see anything but flashing lights. Using her powers, she hovered slightly above the ground as she continued to run. Noticing the absence of her footsteps, Edison turned his head to make sure his sidekick was still behind him. She was.

Once they broke through the crowd, Edison ducked under the yellow caution tape and approached the Chief of Police. Samantha was right behind him, taking in the scene of cop cars and shattered windows.

"What are we looking at?" Edison asked as he caught his breath.

"Four to six armed men, four bank tellers, and three people who chose the wrong time to take out a loan," the Chief of Police told him.

Edison nodded as he looked towards the building, squinting as he watched a few shadows move inside.

"They threatened to shoot if the police got involved," the man said. "We can't get anyone in there."

"I can get in there," Edison sighed and ran a hand over his face. "Technically, I'm not the police, but they'll shoot at me regardless. At the very least it'll be at me and not at the hostages."

"Do you need to go in at all?" the Chief asked, trying to weigh the options.

"I need to know which ones to electrocute."

"I understand," the Chief of Police nodded with a solemn expression.

"So what are we waiting for?" Samantha asked, bouncing on the balls of her feet. She was ready for some action.

"I think you should sit this one out, Hush," Edison told her as he looked back at the bank.

"What? Why?" she asked with a tone of disbelief.

"You're going to get hurt if you go in there," he told her with a hard look. "It's too dangerous."

"I'll be fine, Edison. I have just as much right to be in there as you do. I want to help."

"Look at me, Hush," he let his frustration show. "You're a sidekick, and that's all you'll ever be. If you go in that building, there's a good chance you'll get yourself killed. I will not be responsible for your death."

"But-" she felt tears brimming in her eyes at the harshness of his words.

"Just stop, Hush. Stop trying to be the hero," Edison sighed heavily and ran his fingers through his hair. After seeing the look on her face, he took a deep breath and said tiredly, "Just stay here and don't do anything stupid."

Samantha blinked back the tears in her eyes and swallowed the lump in her throat. She stood a little straighter and looked Edison in the eye.

In a surprisingly steady tone, she said, "Glad to know you have so much faith in me."

Then, without another word, she turned on her heel and started walking back the way they'd come.

"Hush," he called after her. She heard him groan in frustration before turning back to the Chief of Police.

If he was going to be an asshole, then he could deal with it on his own. See if she cared.

Since he was so keen on doing things himself, Samantha decided that she was just going to go home and finish her homework. Lord knew she needed some downtime.