1.7

Emily breathed in the cool night air and pulled her hood farther over her ears. She walked a little faster and peeked around corners as her paranoia deepened.

It had been a brash move, freeing Edison, but she had to do something. She had to warn the heroes somehow, and she hoped beyond anything that freeing Edison was enough to do that.

As soon as Nefarious realized what had happened, he would come after her. He might even kill her. It was because of that, Emily couldn't go home. She wasn't sure where she would go, but all she could do was pray Nefarious didn't hurt her family.

An ear piercing shriek in the distance made Emily's breath catch in her throat. It was a good distance in front of her, but it still had her spooked.

A few seconds later, another shriek came from a ways behind her. She turned and took a few steps backwards, not liking the fact that she was alone in the bad end of town. She didn't like the fact that she might not be alone either.

Another scream, closer this time, and male split through the air. A chill ran up her spine when she realized the man was screaming her name.

Nefarious was coming.

Keeping her head bent low, Emily sped up her pace and searched her brain for someplace she could hide.

Truthfully, she probably would've crawled in a dumpster if it meant escaping Nefarious.

Another scream came from off to her right and Emily cowered away from it, turning down another street to avoid it.

"And where do you think you're going?" An eerily calm voice called from the shadows. Emily's heartbeat quickened as she strained her eyes, thing too make out the figure in the dark.

She knew who it was, of course. There was no denying it. Nefarious had found her.

"Just out for a midnight stroll," she tried to play it off like she didn't know what she'd done.

"Are we now?" Nefarious chuckled sinisterly. He sounded quite amused by her statement.

"Yes," Emily held her chin up as a show of confidence. "Do you have a problem with that?"

"Oh I have a problem," he moved so fast that she barely had time to register what happened before he had her pressed up against a brick wall with a blade to her throat. "But that's not quite it."

"Do enlighten me," Emily said very carefully, trying not to move too much under the pressure of the blade.

"Save it Peters!" he practically snarled. "I know it was you, and I'm not fucking happy!"

Emily kept a calm exterior as he shouted in her face. She didn't respond, she didn't react, she didn't do anything to piss him off even more.

"My plan goes down tomorrow, and you better fucking pray to whatever fucking gods are out there that you didn't fuck it up!" his voice held so much power and rage that she wanted to cower, but the knife at her throat kept her from moving.

She said nothing. She just stood and took what was coming to her.

"But lucky for you, I don't need Edison anymore," he lowered his voice to a dangerous whisper, "and in his state, I doubt he's going to get far."

"What are you saying?" Emily finally found her voice.

Nefarious leaned in so that his lips just barely brushed her ear, "I'm saying that if you kiss me right now, like you mean it, and you do exactly what I fucking tell you to do from now on, I might be willing to forget."

Emily shivered in disgust. She hated this man with a passion, and the fact that he wanting things from her that she wasn't willing to give made her feel even more disgusted towards him.

"If you want to sleep with me so badly, then why don't you just make me like you did with all of the others?" she spat.

Nefarious chuckled lowly and deeply, trailing light kisses down her neck. She scrunched her eyes closed and tried to resist the urge to vomit.

"That's not how my powers work, darling," he whispered into her skin. "In order to corrupt a heart, there needs to already be a want somewhere deep inside it. I can never make someone do something that they are wholeheartedly against doing. That's why you're so fun to play with, sugar. Because you loathe me with every fiber of your being."

Emily glared at him as he lifted his face out of the crook of her neck.

Nefarious looked into Emily's eyes with a smug smirk on his face, "Now kiss me, cupcake. Kiss me like your life depends on it... because it might."

With dread forming in the pit of her stomach, Emily gently pulled his arm and the knife away from her throat and wound her arms around his neck. His hands found her waist automatically, and as she glared into his cold blue eyes, she whispered, "I really do hate you."

And then she kissed him.