0.5

Emily, though flattered by the fact that he found her attractive, was not in the mood for Nefarious's innuendos.

"Ah, come on cupcake. You know you love this thing we have," he practically purred in her ear. What was he? A freaking cat?

Emily rolled her eyes and swatted his hands off her shoulders, freeing herself from his grasp. "As a matter of fact, I do not. Actually, I loathe you and everything you stand for."

"Is it because of that sidekick?" he pouted, grabbing a piece of her long brown hair and twirling it around his gloved finger, effectively trapping her again, "because he can come too. I don't mind."

"You're disgusting," she tore her hair away from him and backed up, not wanting to be within his reach, "and you better get that out of your head right now, because I'm never going to sleep with your egotistical ass."

She wasn't expecting his backhand, so she didn't have time to turn intangible to protect herself. He used enough force to knock her off balance, sending her to her knees as she cupped her injured cheek with her hand. Pain bloomed in her cheek as the sound of the smack echoed around in her skull.

Nefarious grabbed her chin and forced her to look at him. His grip only inflamed her stinging cheek more, but she pushed down the pain.

"You will not speak to me like that, Emily," he reminded her of the control he had over her in a deathly calm tone. "I am more powerful than you, which means I will not tolerate disrespect. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes, sir," she bit out, wanting nothing more than to punch him in the face. She didn't though, being as that was basically suicide. She only got away with insults when he was in a playful mood.

"Good. Now go check on my prisoner. I want to know if he's awake."

Emily didn't wait for him to ask again. As soon as he let go of her chin, she stood and made her way to the basement. She was aware of the fact that there was probably a red spot shaped vaguely like a hand growing on the side of her face, but she chose to ignore that fact.

Nefarious didn't really have a "lair", being as they were pretty expensive and pretty hard to keep secret, but he did go through the trouble of villainizing one of the abandoned coffee shops down by the harbor. It wasn't far from a string of commercial warehouses, which were apparently top notch for enacting villainous schemes, which made the little shop the optimal position for an aspiring villain like himself.

Emily rolled her eyes as she flipped on the lights and descended down into the dank, creepy, coffee shop basement.

In the center of the room was a chair kind of like the ones used at the dentist's office. Where Nefarious had gotten it was beyond her, but Emily decided that she'd rather not know.

There were a lot of things she didn't want to know about that vile man, and only one thing that she did want to. If she could figure out his identity, then she'd finally be free of him. She could blackmail him with the same thing he was using to blackmail her.

"Wha-where am I?" a hoarse voice sounded from the chair. Emily walked the rest of the way down the stairs and approached the captured hero. He was strapped down to the chair with leather straps, being as metal wasn't a very smart option for this particular hero. His hands, which Nefarious had determined were the source of his electricity, were bound in rubber gloves, which would hopefully prevent him from using his powers.

Not that Emily would mind if he electrocuted Nefarious. In fact, that would probably solve most of her problems, but unfortunately, she knew this lone hero wasn't strong enough to defeat him.

"Good morning, Edison," she sighed tiredly as she placed her hand on his sweating forehead. He didn't look so good, and she briefly wondered what Nefarious had used to sedate him. "How are you feeling?"

Edison didn't answer. Instead, he took in her dark suit and mask and racked his brain for a name.

"You-you're Phase, right?" he asked after a while. She was surprised he had been able to guess her name at all. Nefarious didn't like to flash her around in public very often.

"I'm sorry about all of this," Emily said truthfully as she looked into his cool blue eyes. She could feel his gaze lingering on the red mark on her cheek and she had to fight the urge to turn away. "This is not my doing."

Edison didn't say anything, and before Emily could ask if he wanted something to drink, Nefarious came down the stairs.

"What's taking so long, cupcake? Is he awake?"

Emily didn't answer as she took a step away from the hero and looked to the villain that controlled her.

He was lean and tall with dark hair, cold calculating eyes, and a pitch black suit. She decided long ago that she hated everything about him. She hated that smug look on his face, she hated the way his hair sat tussled on his head, and most importantly, she hated him and his demonic nature.

Nefarious smirked as he looked down at Edison, who only glared at him in return.

"Oh, good," he rubbed his hands together like the true villain he was, "Now the fun begins."