Prologue

"Get out! You abomination! You're going to burn in hell! I will not have a son like you in my house! We will send you for therapy to cure you of this sickness."  My father spat out the word as if it made him sick.

"Mom please, I'm the same boy I was yesterday. I'm not different. Mom please look at me.", I begged her as I knelt in front of her. She was sitting on a chair in the kitchen with a blank look on her face.

"Don't call me that. I'm no Mother to you. Do as your father says. Pack your things and leave", She said as she still stared into space.

"Mom you don't mean that-", I didn't get to finish before my head was whipped to the side. I turned and looked at my Mother shocked. She had never raised a hand to me.

"Like I said. I'm no Mother to you", She spat out as she glared at me with fury blazing in her eyes.

I turned to look at my Father but he had the same look in his eyes as my Mother did. I took a deep breath and nodded my head as I left the kitchen.

I knew my parents were homophobic but I thought they would change their mind if they knew their son was gay. I just graduated from culinary school much to my Father's distaste and my Mother's delight. I thought it was about time I came out of the closet. All my life I've been hiding there fearful of the outcomes but for once I took a leap and didn't think twice. Look how that ended.

I dragged my feet to my room and grabbed a few bags from under the bed. I packed everything away when I came back thinking I was going to stay.

I packed a few of everything. I didn't want to take too much. I packed my memory box full of pictures of the fun times I've had with friends ,my teddybear and something I held very dear to my heart, something my Grandma gave before she passed on.

I took one last look around the room I would never seen again and honestly I can't say I'll miss it. Yes I grew up here but I was always scared of being found out so I lived a miserable life.

The only time I let loose was with my best friend Peter.

I grabbed my bags and left the room. My "Parents" were standing at the door and looked as if they couldn't wait for me to leave.

"Never come back. You won't be accepted here. The only time you will be is if you forget this foolish behaviour and set yourself right.", My "Father" said as I walked through the open door. I stopped as he started speaking and I turned to look back at him.

"That won't happen. I'm tired of trying to be someone I'm not. This is me. The same me who you loved yesterday.", I said as I watched my "Father" turn pink with rage.

"No son of mine is a faggot!", he said as he turned and slammed the door.

I sighed and made my way to my car, thankful I paid for it otherwise they would've taken it away from me and I would've been stranded.

I packed my bags in the boot and got in the driver's seat. Where to now?

I smiled as a thought blossomed in my mind.

Yes, I'll live my dream of just driving to wherever I wanted to and doing what made me happy.
Suddenly loosing my family didn't seem all that bad anymore.

I still had myself and as long as I could get back up when I fell down and stand strong I could become anything I wanted.

And there was only one thing I wanted to be.