Chapter 18

Ava stabbed the pork chop with her fork, getting a whiff of its savory aroma before eating

Ava stabbed the pork chop with her fork, getting a whiff of its savory aroma before eating. It melted in her mouth, tasting of herbs and mesquite. Caterina's cooking was delicious as always, which meant she felt better than ever.

After taking a drink of iced water, Ava finished the last bite of her dinner. Gio bumped into her right arm, making the piece of meat hit her cheek. He reached for one of the last croissants as Josh bumped her shoulder while pouring himself more wine. Since the twins and Darious were now living with them, their seating arrangements changed. Ava was stuck in the middle, and quite frankly, it sucked.

"Well, this is the quietest dinner I've ever been a part of. Training must have been swell," Caterina said, smoothly taking a sip of her delectable red wine.

She sat at the head of the table, swirling the glass, its bowl bigger than her palm, yet fit her overall appearance. She went all out tonight, wearing one of her expensive, airy dresses, strapless for a tease, and her hair twisted into an updo, exposing more skin than necessary. It seemed Darious' comment got to her and she was out for revenge.

Darious chuckled under his breath, impeccable as ever with his stiff collared shirt. He lounged in the plush dining chair at the other end, finished with his dinner. "If you call trying to kill each other training, then yes. It went swell."

Marc dropped his fork and it clunked harshly against the ironstone plate, nearly tarnishing the earthenware design. Caterina's eyebrow twitched yet she maintained her cool. He'd make an enemy of her mom if he kept this up.

"I already told you. Hands-on practice is the best way to learn," Marc said.

Darious scoffed. "Conversing with your teammate is also a great learning method. Or did you forget our training together?"

"You guys trained together?" Gio asked, taking the words right out of Ava's mouth.

A twisted smile spread on Darious' face. "Yes, we did. Although it was more like I trained him."

Marc stood so quickly the chair scraped against the wood floor. He thanked Caterina for the meal, then made an excuse that he had work to do. But when his door shut rather forcibly, they all knew he was pissed.

Ava itched to check on Marc, more so to find out why Darious got under his skin so much. It probably had to do with his ego, but she'd never seen Marc get this upset over one pompous guy. Josh squeezed her knee before she could move, and boy did it hurt.

"You know what your problem is? You don't drink enough." Josh released her, only to snatch the half-full bottle of wine and fill Darious' glass to the rim. "There ya go. Don't forget to finish every last drop—unless you wanna be rude," he said, then poured himself another glass full to compliment Darious'.

"Really, Joshua. That's too much for one sitting. You don't have to finish it. I won't be offended if you don't," Caterina said, yet her expression said the opposite. She was challenging Darious and he gladly accepted.