Chapter 30

Ava opened her eyes

Ava opened her eyes.

Ocean waves crashed in the distance, palm trees rustled above. Sand clung to her fingers, wrapped her body in an uncomfortable embrace. She was still on Zephyrus' ship, still stuck on this damn island. She woke up to another nightmare.

When she sat up, Mika's jacket fell from her shoulders to her lap. She pulled it forward, trying to erase the chill from the Reaper. Forget. A faint scent of lemons lingered on the embroidered collar, smelling of soap and aftershave. Ava didn't understand his fascination for lemons. Surprised he'd love such a fruit so sour when eaten raw. Surprised she was sniffing his jacket.

Being alone, Ava had time to think about yesterday, and after this nightmare, she came to a resolution. No matter what it took, she'd get that disk back. If that meant working with Mika or giving in to Zephyrus' demands, then so be it.

But for now, she'd search for a bathroom.

Ava stood and stretched into the daylight sky, pink sand flitted off her dress, flew in the air as she flicked out the jacket. The sun wasn't overhead, an early afternoon, late morning if he used Earth's timescale.

Mika stood on the other side of the island, keeping to his promise. He brushed the sand off his shoulders, light glinted from his golden translator bracelet. His shirt was still tucked into his pants, speckled in pink. Ava bet his skin was as pale as the moon.

Enough of this. She needed to stop thinking about Mika and concentrate on getting out of this situation. She needed to find a bathroom.

Ava walked out into the open and glared at the spot where that red flashing light once greeted her scones. "Hey!" she yelled out. "I have to use the restroom. If you're any kind of a gentleman, you will provide me with a proper place to do my business."

No answer, but the annoying red light flickered on. He was listening. Mika shuffled over to Ava, the corner of his mouth perked. "I don't think that's going to work."

Ignoring him, she tried again. "Please. I promise to behave!" Still, no response. Dropping her head, she groaned in defeat. "I'm ready to talk," she said, then looked up at the flashing light. "I'm ready to go through with it."

The sand quaked beneath them. Mika grasped onto Ava and she did just the same. She squeezed his upper arms, muscle tensed under her grip as a green mossy hill rose from the ground. A door appeared nearby. Silver paneling coated the exterior, and next to it, a monitor was fixated to a square metal frame.

Mika took off running towards the door. Oh, hell no.

Ava chased after him, feet sunk into the sand. It made it harder to reach him, but she somehow managed it. Her hands clamped onto his arm. "Don't even think about it, doubting Tom. I'm using it first."

He pulled away. She yanked him back. They collided. "What if it's a trap? I need to make sure it's safe," he said.

Lies. All lies. "You can wait your turn or go outside."