Chapter 20

How the hell did he get inside? No, that wasn't the question Ava should be asking

How the hell did he get inside? No, that wasn't the question Ava should be asking. What she really needed to know was how long he'd been here? The doors were so loud with their screeching, they would've echoed through the facility.

The Black Rabbit jumped off the table and meandered towards them, boots tapping the entire way. His movements were just as confident yet relaxed as the real Junipea's. He even had the same easygoing smile. Ava quickly surveyed the area for the quickest exit. She should've looked earlier.

The room was vast and open, a dugout tunnel stretched half a yards length. The cabinets were scratched into—a few riddled with large holes as if someone dropped acid there. But of course, they were stuck in the worst position—surrounded by metal tables.

Instinctively, Ava backed up. Her head bumped into the tables edging as Junipea approached. "That tablet. Give it to me," he demanded.

Every fiber in her body told her to fight, while her heart just wouldn't have it. The Bō trembled as she stood upright. Just seeing him riddled her with terror. She needed to do something. She refused to give up these tablets so easily.

From the corner of her eye, Ava caught Sam drawing out a koto spell in mid-air near the table's leg. Junipea was so focused on her, he didn't notice.

With renewed confidence, Ava stood and squeezed the knapsack closer. "The tablets are broken and cracked and don't respond to touch. They wouldn't be useful to you."

"You know those aren't the tablets I'm talking about." He reached inside his dark cloak. She gripped the Bō tighter, preparing for what came next. The crystal sword unsheathed from the cloth, glittering brightly even in this dull lighting.

Junipea pointed the tip at Ava's neck; the blade looked thinner straight on. It was frighteningly beautiful the way it curved slightly, and dreamlike as it held itself together from the shape of a half moon at its hilt. Nightmarish.

"I've searched this entire place from top to bottom for weeks. But no—you just had to come waltzing in and find it within minutes." He hissed between his teeth. "You've always been too damn lucky."

"And you've always talked too much."

Sam slapped his hand through the spell and onto the floor, ice zipped across the concrete and up Junipea's legs. They squeezed him like a snake, crackling as they hardened into a solid shell, up his robe and to his waist and kept going.

Gio stepped in front of Ava, his scimitar sparked to life. It was just like the last battle, except this time his back was to her and it felt strange. When was the last time she saw his back? It was bigger and broader from when they were children. His back became a shield.

He briefly looked over his shoulder to Mika. "Take her out of here," he said. "We've got this. Now go."

What? No way in hell am I leaving Gio alone with this impostor. That is suicide. The Bō morphed into a sword at her side.