chapter 14

the moon is a perfect, natural example of strength in its purest form. what else could be strong enough to pull water to the shore and shed light in the deepest darkness?

two moon cycles later

At first, the power that Obi Wan had tried to get Elara to tap into seemed so far out of reach. Her unique power of looking into the eyes and conversations of others as they're happening has been granted to her by the Force, but she felt she could not come close to mastering it. It had only happened once in the past, that night when she saw the conversation of Obi Wan and Anakin. After sharing this event with Obi Wan, he made it his goal to help Elara find out how to trigger it and turn it into something she could control.

They soon realize that the power occurs in times of strong emotion, whether it is that of Elara or the one whose mind she slips into.

It is no secret that Elara is always on the verge of some strong emotion, so this skill should not have been hard to cultivate. However, Elara felt herself being torn between wanting the resolve of a true Jedi, or always being close to the edge in order to search any mind of the galaxy, no matter how mentally trying that may be.

Because of Obi Wan, though, she learned how to have both. He taught her how to keep calm in even the most charged moments, and together, they figured out ways to keep her emotions at bay in a healthy way.

When needed, Elara can now call upon those emotions and, in time, she had honed her newfound power to look into the minds of others. What had once been a random fluke in a time of anger has now become a skill that the Jedi Council is proud of, and uses to the best of their ability.

It is not long before Obi Wan and Elara are a duo in high demand. Any mission that involves gathering intel and finding out secrets, the two are immediately considered. The Council was wary of Elara at first; she had been a traitor, how could they trust her with anything? Even if her skill set was valuable and they had been the ones that wanted her to train as a Jedi, they were still not convinced she was worth the risk.

However, once her special skill is realized, all their doubts are wiped. They can not help but use the gift she has been given by the Force.

Elara keeps her promise to herself. She trains hard, and fights harder. She has thrown herself into the work of a Jedi, work that she once thought she would hate...but there is something about her new line of work that makes her proud to do it.

Besides, with Obi Wan by her side, the work is making her happier than she'd like to admit. He is a great partner, always has been, and there is something about the way he looks at her that makes her feel like she belongs, even though she sometimes feels like she can't fit into her own skin.

He makes her feel like she can.

While shaping her strength and powers into its best form, not a word has been heard from Anakin, who is not so far off physically, but mentally. He has been with Padmé all this time, and Elara tries her best not to think about that. She shoves away thoughts of them together through punches and kicks, training and making her power into a force to be reckoned with.

When night arrives, it is harder. Under the light of the moon, alone in her room, she remembers him so vividly. He was exquisite in the moonlight, she remembers fondly. He was made for those moments under the lunar light.

By morning, however, she is given tasks and training and time with Obi Wan, and those envious thoughts fade with the whirr of her lightsaber.

They have given her a lightsaber color neither Elara nor Obi Wan knew existed, to mark her as someone to be watched, to mark her someone with turmoil that needs to be watched; her lightsaber, or rather, darksaber, is black.

It reminds her of night, and she is fueled by it when she knows she should be insulted.

A weapon has never spoken to her soul like this one before. With her darksaber at her hip, and her mind sharper than it has ever been, Elara has emerged as something she never thought she'd be; she welcomes the title Jedi with open arms.

----

"I definitely beat you!" Elara laughs with speed coursing through her veins. This new title suits her, and in Coruscant with Obi Wan by her side, a lot of her anger has fallen away in the wake of a new beginning. She has learned how to laugh and enjoy the life that has been set out for her, so much so that she sometimes forgets that this is forced, that this is not where she came from.

"Sure," Obi Wan scoffs playfully, shoving Elara's arm with a wild grin. As Elara's companion, Obi Wan himself has also discovered a new side of himself; a playful one, one that shows off his smile and how beautiful his eyes look with some light in them.

"Don't 'sure' me," Elara teases as they continue to walk towards the council room, where Yoda and Mace Windu wait for their arrival, "We both know that I beat you. That's eighteen for me, and two for you."

Obi Wan shrugs, still smiling, "Alright." He has learned that it is better for him to go along with what she says; it makes her happier that way.

Elara watches him closely and sees that particular look in his eyes again as he gazes at her.

"Wipe that grin off your face, Kenobi. We have business to conduct," she tells him, still grinning as they approach the doors. She wipes her hands against her white skirt and puts her hair that has gone wild behind her ears. Rolling his eyes, Obi Wan does the same straightening up as he pushes open the doors.

Yoda and Mace Windu stop talking as the walk in, their faces pallid with worry. Elara finds herself frowning as she bows her head out of respect.

"Master Kenobi, Master Margosa," Mace Windu regards them as they all take a seat, "There has been another attack on Senator Amidala's life." Obi Wan's breath hitches, and Elara's mind immediately goes to Anakin. She sees Yoda watching her, someone who seems to always be in tune with what Elara is thinking.

"Anakin, okay he is," Yoda says to the room, but his eyes are on her, "Padmé, too."

"What we need is more guards for her, and we need people closer to the heart of what is going on..." Mace Windu continues, "Something dark is stirring, and we need to know before it's too late. That's why we need you two to go and help guard the Senator with Skywalker. It will injure us to lose two of our best, but we need you two close to whoever is coming after Padmé, so Elara can do what she does best and figure out who is the source of her trouble, as well as the threat to our galaxy as a whole."

Now, this turn of events she has not expected. She is ready to accept this sort of a challenge, for this is their most important job yet...but she has been okay these past two months, and seeing Anakin is going to ruin the fragile new existence she has begun to build.

Elara tries not to convey any of this resentment in her expression as she looks to Obi Wan for confirmation, though she already knows what she is going to say. He nods, his eyes dark. She cannot help but think that maybe this is because he knows it, too; their adventures are going to change, maybe come to an end altogether.

He knows how her heart aches for someone else, and being in Anakin's presence is going to destroy what little secret Elara and him are sharing together.

Drawing in a deep breath, she looks to Master Yoda and Master Windu with determination in her eyes and tightness in her jaw.

"We'll do it."

----

Hello everyone! I don't know if you can tell already, but the story obviously strays away from what's canon, and will continue to do so, so do not be alarmed by differences between this story and the movies! I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. Please check out some of my other works while you wait for a new one ;)
Love you guys a bunch