II- I Accept Defeat. (1)

I'M GOING TO BE LATE ! I'm going to be late! I'm going to be so late!

I moved my feet quickly, as I ran across the street, my head turning around every so often, cautious of any official coming out of the dark and arrest me or worse whip me for being out after 12.

My mum must be worried too; I could imagine her right now pacing in front of the front door, wondering about my whereabouts.

I've never been home late; I had always been home before 11. My mum never had to give me curfew, since I was pretty careful about the laws myself, not leaving even a little space for mistakes, but, this is a first for me and I surely don't want to break my "no rules broken in my whole life" streak.

Running as fast as my already aching feet could take me, I finally reach my street, I let a sigh escape my lips as I'm just a few steps away from my house. I quickly make my way up the porch, used the key- which I, thank God had taken out before hand- inserted them in the key hole. Quickly opening the door, I walk inside, shutting it behind me, my mum - as predicted- pacing in front of the door, stopped immediately as soon as she heard the door close.

"Juliet!" She let out a relief breath as she made her way towards me, her arm wrapping around me, giving me some temporary warmth against the harsh weather outside.

"Mom, it's alright. I made it home unscratched right?" I tried to convince, trying to keep the positive attitude even though my heart was beating pretty loudly.

"Where were you even?" Her, already wrinkled forehead folded, as she gazed at me with concerned yet stern eyes.

"I was at the party... it's just... I got caught up into a few things." I said as I took off my coat and hung it by the door.

"Oh... uh... okay. I'm pretty sure you didn't eat, so why don't you freshen up? I'll set up the table for you."

"Yeah, sure! I feel like I'm starving," I kissed her on the cheek as I made my way up the stairs. "Be back in five." I called out nearing the top.

I nodded, making my way to my room and changing as quickly as possible, my room was an average size, not too big, a little bit towards small, but it was the largest bedroom in our house. I couldn't even expect more as the only person earning in our house was my mother as children below the age of 22 weren't allowed to work, the children or teenagers are supposed to focus on their studies until they graduate, after that they can start working.

Although the rule may be fair and thoughtful for the future of the country but it was no where justified for the people who could barely feed themselves, let alone take care of the added expense of education, as it was in my situation, my mum has to go around, cleaning houses the whole day to pay for the bills, for food to fill our stomachs and added expenses.