III - Here It Goes.

AFTER MY AGREEMENT to join the selection

AFTER MY AGREEMENT to join the selection. My mother - you could say - was over the moon and was practically carrying the whole house over her head.

She just couldn't hold her excitement at my compliance and the would be possibility of me getting selected and becoming the future queen of Exousía.

And why wouldn't she be. I was her possible ticket out of poverty, a gateway to a possible life of luxuries and what nots.

To be honest, with the smile constantly plastered on her face now, and seeing her so optimistic about everything, it's made me happy too, and bits of her excitement settles into me regardless of my dislike for the selection.

Even made taking part in it a tiny bit bearable.

Apart for my house, the whole school was buzzing regarding the selection too. All the girl in my grade over exaggerating their excitement, every voice and conversation now solely dedicated to the topic of the Selection.

If I, myself wasn't a little excited about it because of my mum, I would've had a permanent scowl on my face, due to the constant chatter continuing around me...which I guess I didn't really have to do as I my eyes caught Jake making his way over to me with a scowl on his face.

I let out a short laugh at his face as he came close to stand by me, as I proceeded to open my locker.

His scowl had now dissolved to a small smile.

"What's up with your face?" I let out jokingly.

My question caused his face to turn back to a scowl, this time a playful one.

He dug a finger into my waist teasingly, knowing how ticklish I am. I squealed as I jumped away from him, my hand in front of me, as a mode of -useless- protection.

When I was sure he wouldn't try it again, I resumed my earlier position, still wary of his hands and continued to take out my books from my locker for my first class of the day.

"So are you going to tell me or what ?" I urged.

"It's just everyone." He said.

I gave him a weird look, waiting for him to elaborate.

When he continued to stay silent, I spoke again.

"What? What is 'everyone' doing ?"

He groaned. " All I hear around here is the Selection this, the Selection that..." He mimicked, he continued to mimic gibberish which apparently made sense to him as I took my book out of my locker, shaking my head at his antics.