Chapter Three

Present Day

You thought about that night 4 years ago often after it happened, especially for the first 6 months. Once you moved out of the neighborhood, quit the restaurant, and started school, it was easier to put it behind you. Unfortunately, you never heard anything about an arrest or justice for the poor girl. That did weigh on you at times, also keeping in mind that the creep who did it was still free. All the more reason for you to continue studying the law and work with those who can do some good in the world.

This particular morning began just like any other, running a few minutes behind and desperately hoping you'll catch the train on time. You donned your heels and threw on a coat, closing the door behind you with briefcase in hand. Glancing at your watch as you descended the subway stairs, you thought you might miraculously make your train. You swiped your MetroCard and stepped through the turnstile, then hearing your ringtone playing.

Fishing your phone out of your purse as you walked, you swiped to answer. It wasn't a number you recognized, but often clients would call so you made a habit of answering no matter what.

"This is Y/N," you responded as you walked further down the platform.

"Hello! Is this Y/N (Y/L/N)?" asked a male voice.

"Yes, it is."

"Great! I'm calling from the 107th precinct, would you be able to drop by the station this evening?"

"Um...is everything okay?"

"Yes! Sorry. We just need to verify a statement you gave on a case we've reopened."

"Oh. Yeah, um...okay. Is around 7:30 alright?"

"Excellent. We'll plan on you then."

"Sounds good. And who am I speaking with?"

"I'm sorry, this is Det—"

Your phone dropped the call at that moment, but the train arrived anyway in a squeal of brakes and rushing stale winds, so you pocketed your phone and boarded with a shrug. You figured someone would know who to should speak with once you got there.

______________________________

Leaving the office around 6:45pm, you googled the address for the 107th precinct and headed for the closest Subway line heading in the right direction. Arriving at the station a few minutes early, you paused just before the steps, taking a good look at the building. It was just as it had been 4 years previous, the memories and dread from that night settling in your bones as well as a curious flutter in your stomach. Ascending the steps, you pulled open the heavy wooden door and approached the front desk.

"Hi, I got a call from someone about verifying a statement I had given years ago?"

The officer pulled a sheet from a stack of papers, "Name?"

"Y/N (Y/L/N)"

Following his finger down the list, he tapped the page halfway down and put a checkmark next to your name.

"Found you. I can take you to an interview room and inform the Detective that you're here."

"Okay, thank you."

The rotund, balding cop led you to a small room containing a table with two chairs facing each other and a mirror on one wall. You had seen enough cop tv shows to know that it was as two-way mirror. For some inexplicable reason, that fact made you nervous and you weren't even a suspect. Pulling out the chair facing your reflection, you shrugged off your coat and dropped your purse on the table. You took stock in the mirror of your slightly disheveled appearance after a long work day. After attempting to bring life back into your hair-do with your fingers, you sat down knowing the task was futile.

You heard a ping from inside your purse, plucking your phone from the side pocket to see a time-sensitive work email. Of course. The fun never ends. You answered it quickly and spent around 5 minutes cleaning out your inbox when the door swung open halfway, revealing a man in a dark grey suit with his back to you. He paused before entering, conversing with someone in the hallway.

He was tall and muscular with medium-length dark brown hair that tucked just behind his ear. The suit was well tailored, fitting snug but comfortably across his broad shoulders then tapering slightly to the waist. His trousers were straight-legged, hem just brushing the tops of his black dress shoes. He released his grip on the door knob, then burying that hand in his pocket which lifted his suit jacket slightly giving you a view of a shapely backside and a pair of handcuffs clipped to his belt. Your cheeks warmed as alternate uses of said handcuffs crossed your mind and you hadn't even seen his face.

Wow, it had clearly been a while.

The detective (you assumed) wrapped up his conversation and turned to enter the room, which is when your jaw dropped in shock.

The man kept his eyes on the open file in from of him, searching for something, "Okay Miss....(Y/L/N), thanks for coming in we really apprec..."

Lifting his eyes to meet yours, he trailed off, mirroring your expression of surprise.

"Hey! I remember you!" he exclaimed with a smile.

You thawed enough to speak, "Officer Barnes...w-what a surprise!"

"Wow. Yeah, it is. I just got handed this case file or I would have known you were coming. It's been, uh..."

"...long time."

"It has, yeah. Oh, and it's Detective Barnes now," he stated with a wink.