Chapter Twenty-One

"Stark's parents? What happened?" you urged him on when he paused.

He huffed out a sigh and clasped both hands in yours.

"First, I should mention that my father was a cop."

This surprised you. "Really? You never told me that."

"I know. I don't talk about him a lot. He's...a bit of a sore spot," he spoke quietly as his gaze wandered to the socializing a few feet away before turning back to you. "I was pretty young when he left, but I still remember. The drinking, the fighting, my mom crying after he stormed out..." his voice cracked with emotion.

You pulled him closer, tucking a lock of hair behind his ear before resting a hand on his cheek.

"Sorry," he said, clearing his throat. "I'm okay. So, from what I can piece together through stories and police reports I could get my hands on, my Pops wasn't always on the right side of the law. He toed the line and sometimes stepped over it. He was more lenient at times and then a real hard-ass when it wasn't necessary at others, even suspected of police brutality once or twice. One particular time, he pulled over a guy for drunk driving only to discover that it was one of his poker buddies. This would have been his friend's third strike, so instead of arresting him, he gave him a warning and then followed him home to make sure he got there safely."

He fidgeted with the buttons on your coat while gathering his thoughts before continuing.

"A few weeks later, that friend of his drove drunk and hit another car head-on, killing both driver and passenger. Howard and Maria Stark died on impact."

A gasp escaped your lips. "That's awful," you whispered, eyes wandering toward the Captain down on the lawn who was currently telling some elaborate story while gesturing with his hands. "But what does that have..."

"What does that have to do with me?" he asked, finishing your thought. "Well. If Pops had arrested his buddy and revoked his license like he should have, then the Starks would most likely still be alive. That bastard walked away and now he's in prison, but Tony lost his parents and it's my father's fault. It's no wonder that every time he looks at me, he's reminded of the reason why he grew up alone. My Pops skipped town before there was an investigation, like the coward he is. Most people think I joined the force because he was a cop when in fact, I became a police officer in spite of him. I never wanted to be like him."

You pulled him into a tight hug, rubbing a hand over his back in soothing patterns. "You're a good man and an amazing, honorable officer of the law. What happened to Stark's parents was not your fault. He has no right to put that blame on you or mistreat you—"

"He doesn't," Bucky interrupted, pulling away slightly. "Mistreat me, I mean. He really is a good captain, and fair. He knows if he ever abused his power or went outside the law against me, he'd be just as bad as my father. No. He's just...extra critical of my work and likes to make the occasional comment at my expense. No matter how good I am at my job, he's always waiting for me to screw up just in case the apple didn't fall far from the tree. As hard as I try to clear the Barnes name..." he trailed off shaking his head.

"It's still wrong of him," you declared, pulling on the lapels of his coat to plant a kiss on his lips. "If it makes things easier, we could mingle separately. He doesn't have to know we're together, I'll just say that Steve invited me and we'll wait until he's gone to..."

"No!" he almost shouted. "I want you here. With me. I just...I wanted this to be a great day. After all this time and waiting, I'm dying to show you off cause I love you so much, I want to shout it from the rooftops but now I can't even..."

"You what?" you blurted, interrupting him.

"What?"

"You...love me?"

He blushed. "Oh. Yeah. I guess that kind of slipped out. Truthfully, I've thought it so many times I almost convinced myself I've already said it."

"No, I'm pretty sure I'd remember that..." you replied as a slow grin grew on your face.

"It's okay. I've caught you off guard, I'm not expecting anything from you. Kinda wish I had done something a little more romantic, though..." he trailed off with an embarrassed smile.

You shook your head, placing a hand on each side of his face. "This is perfect because it's you and me, right here. And I love you, too, so I'd say this is a great time for it."

He sighed in relief, his handsome features relaxing into a smile for the first time since the whole conversation began. "I love you so much," he repeated, pressing his lips to yours as you looped arms around his neck. The kiss began to deepen as your tongue caressed his when you suddenly remembered you were in a public place, reluctantly separating.

Bucky's sparkling blue eyes had a mischievous glint when they met yours. Later, he mouthed to you with a wink, then grasping your hand and stepping away from your hidden spot. Although, not hidden enough as you and Bucky noticed Stark looking your way, probably having already seen you two together. Bucky squeezed your hand and descended the deck stairs down to the lawn when young, squealing voices were heard calling his name.

"Uncle Bucky! Uncle Bucky!"

Two young girls ran toward him, one hugging his knees and the other demanding to be picked up. "Hey! How are my favorite little ladies?" he asked with a huge smile, gathering the younger girl in his arms. They looked to be about three- and five-years-old

"Daddy said we can roast marshmallows later and put them with chocolate and graham crackers!" the older girl declared excitedly.

"You mean S'Mores? That sounds fun!" the dark haired detective, turned uncle, spoke animately. "Y/N, this is Sarah and Maggie," he said, indicating to the younger girl in his arms first, tight blonde curls upon her head, then to the older girl clinging to his leg. Her straight, dirty-blonde hair fell the the middle of her back. Both of Steve's daughters inherited his sparkling blue eyes, their cheeks now rosy from running around in the cold. "Girls, say hi to Y/N"

"Hi," they both mumbled shyly.

"It's nice to meet you, Sarah. You, too, Maggie," you greeted each girl separately with a smile.

"Is she your girlfriend?" Maggie asked loudly, finding her voice. A few people nearby chuckled, as did Bucky.

"Yes, she is," he replied without hesitation.

"She's pretty," Sarah said, peaking out from burying her head in his shoulder.

"I think so, too," he smiled, catching your eye as you smiled, a little flustered.

"Girls!" you heard Sharon call out from the house entrance. "Come wash up, it's time to eat."

The adorable blondes released their grip on Bucky and climbed the stairs onto the deck, leaving the two of you behind.

"They adore you. Steve's got some cute kids," you stated, following the girls into the house before you gaze returned to Bucky.

"Yeah, they're lucky they take after Sharon," he teased.

You laughed as he wrapped an arm around you and pulled you to his side. Getting lost in his gaze for a moment, you pecked a kiss to his lips and then flicked your eyes to the side to see someone approaching.

"You ready for this?" you asked Bucky, seeing the tight line of his lips.

Taking a deep breath, he grasped your hand and nodded. "Time to face the music."