Chapter Twenty

As the car came to a stop on a quaint, tree-lined street, your nerves returned. Bucky parked and walked around to the passenger's side to open your door. He took a few of the bags from your hands and then threaded your fingers with his once again. Walking up the steps, you told yourself once again that there was no reason to worry.

Bucky met your eyes and gave you yet another reassuring smile before he raised a hand and knocked.

The door opened to the friendly, grinning face of Steve.

"Hey, guys, you made it! Come on in," he said, stepping aside for you to enter.

You walked in first, getting a hug from Steve with Bucky receiving a bro-hug-slash-thump-on-the-back, alternatively.

Once you passed the threshold, you were greeted enthusiastically by three gorgeous dogs prancing in place with tongues wagging. One reared onto its hind legs, aiming to place front paws on you for kisses, no doubt, but Steve tugged on the dog's collar.

"Ah ah! Down, Libby," he ordered with authority. "Sorry about that, Y/N. She loves having visitors. Thanks for coming out, I know it's a bit of a drive."

"It's no problem, thanks for the invite. You have a lovely home," you replied, taking a glance around.

"Thanks, we like it. Long Island makes it a bit of a commute to the station, but we wanted to be a cliche and raise our kids outside the city. Speaking of my wife, hey Sharon?" he called out to the next room. A beautiful woman came around the corner and walked to Steve's side as he looped an arm around her waist. She had shoulder-length blond hair falling in soft waves and kind blue eyes. "Sharon, this is Y/N. Y/N, this is my wife, Sharon."

"Hi, it's so nice to meet you," you spoke, offering a hand to her but she bypassed that and pulled you into a hug, much to your surprise.

"Oh, please, you're practically family. It's nice to finally meet you, Y/N. I've heard so much about you from Steve and Bucky, especially during that time apart. I can't imagine," she shook her head sympathetically.

You cocked an eyebrow, flickering your gaze between Steve and Bucky who both looked a little sheepish. Apparently, you had been the topic of conversation on more than one occasion.

"Sorry," Steve spoke up, "I can't keep anything from Sharon and Buck, well...we talk a lot on the job."

"But it all worked out for the best, right? And here you are," Sharon beamed. "Oh, Steve, I think you're needed at the grill."

"Right! Gotta get back to it. Make yourselves at home," he grinned, pecking a kiss on his wife's cheek before he left.

"Have you met the dogs, Y/N?" Sharon asked, gesturing to the three animals currently sitting obediently but still following your movement closely. Possibly because you were carrying food.

"Libby, right?" you inquired, pointing to the Golden Retriever on the left.

"Yup! Short for Liberty. Steve was feeling exceptionally patriotic when he adopted her before we were married. Then there's Loki, the Black Labrador, he's a tricky one, always escaping from the yard somehow. And then Thor, the Yellow Lab. I studied Norse mythology in college and don't tell Steve, but I always found Thor handsome," she whispered with a hand to the side of her mouth and a conspiratorial wink. You and Bucky chuckled at that. "They add to the wonderful chaos in our home," she said with a smile, petting Libby's head affectionately. "So come on in. You can put those bags on the table and head outside."

You and Bucky followed through the living room, past the hallway and into the kitchen where you dropped off the chips and drinks you brought for the party. Bucky then led you by the hand through the sliding glass doors leading out onto the deck.