Chapter Five

"Unfortunately, this case has been re-opened because we found another victim this morning."

"Oh," you gasped, hand rising to your lips. "That's horrible. Another young girl?"

"Yes. This one makes four," he stated, shaking his head in disbelief.

"Four victims? So he's a serial killer?"

"His M.O. is consistent, so most likely, yes."

You let this tragic news settle, a knot forming in your stomach. If only he had been caught 4 years ago...

"There was nothing more you could've done," he said, seemingly reading your thoughts. "The crime scene that you were involved with was victim number three. We're not sure why he seemed to have stopped since then or why he's returned, but we are putting all our resources on this one. We've got some new information plus I'm reviewing the previous evidence and statements to give us the whole picture. That's where you come in."

You leaned forward, hands clasped in front of you on the table. "What can I do?"

"First I need you to recall everything you can from that night, even the smallest detail, plus anything that has occurred to you since then. Sometimes a witness has a clearer view looking back once the shock has worn off."

"Okay, " you answered, running a hand through your hair.

The detective grabbed a pen from his jacket pocket and flipped to a blank page.

"Whenever you're ready," he said, writing the date, time, and your name at the top page. "Oh wait! One second."

He paused and pulled out his phone, opening the app for the recorder. He spoke next for the record.

"This is Detective James Barnes interviewing witness Y/N (Y/L/N) on the 7th of October, currently 7:49 pm," he ended, giving you a nod.

Taking a deep breath, you let your mind excavate the memories of that night. So many of them you had purposefully blocked out, but for the sake of justice, you let them back in. You remembered the exhaustion of that night after work at the restaurant and your unwise decision to walk the ten blocks home thanks to the ever-changing subway trains. Speaking of the scream in the alley and the man approaching, your heart caught in your throat again, just as it had that night. You gave the description of the man, his face now etched in your mind so vividly.

You paused once again, now describing seeing the woman in the alley. Eyes clenched shut to stave off tears, you rubbed your right temple with your fingers.

"Do you need a minute?" he asked with concern.

"No, no. I can finish," you blinked rapidly, letting out a small sniff. "I used my phone as a flashlight and entered the alley. About 15 feet in, I saw a high heel sitting there on the ground. Walking forward, I saw legs and then the rest of her...I rushed forward to maybe help, but there was so much blood..." you trailed off, stomach heaving at the memory.

"And you never touched the body?"

"No. I stumbled backward, left the alley and called the police."

"Okay. Thank you, Ms. (Y/L/N)," he said formally, then pressing stop on the recorder. "I need to review your previous statement with you to see if anything jogs your memory, but let's take a break, shall we?"

You nodded, dabbing at the corner of your eyes.

"I'll go get you some water," he offered, leaving the room with the door left open.

Taking a few deep breaths to calm yourself, you pulled out a tissue to dab at your most-likely-smudged-again mascara. Drudging up the memories of that night were taking its toll, but you knew how important it was and hoped it would be worth it.

Detective Barnes returned, offering you a chilled bottle of water. You accepted and thanked him. He remained standing, rolling his neck from side to side to loosen tense muscles. It had been a long day for him too, it seemed. He unbuttoned the cuffs of his sleeves and began rolling them up to his elbows. During that motion, your eye caught a glimpse of a grayish shadow and a flash of color on the inside of his left forearm, making you curious. As he sat down once again, you leaned forward for a better look.

Gathering the courage to ask, you pointed to the area of your curiosity, "What is it that I'm seeing here?"

The detective followed your eyesight, "Hm? Oh, that. Yeah. I keep my sleeves down most of the time since it can be unsettling to some, but since we're old friends I thought you wouldn't mind." A grin graced his handsome features.

"May I?" you asked.

"Of course," he exclaimed with a smile, turning the inside of his forearm toward you and into the light.

It was like nothing you had ever seen. An intricate and detailed tattoo covered the skin from elbow to wrist, the contrast of light and dark making it seem almost three-dimensional. A bright red Chinese throwing star near the bend of his arm looked like it had ripped open his skin, revealing interlocking plates underneath. The highlighted areas of each plate made it seem like shining metal. Your fingers reached out to touch it involuntarily, eyes transfixed on the inked skin.

"I'm sorry," you apologized, retracting your hand.

"It's okay, I don't mind," he grinned at your fascination. "In fact, you feel right here?"

He had taken your hand and placed your fingertips on the skin a few inches above his wrist. The flesh felt rough and puckered, like scar tissue.

"That's why I got the tattoo. I was in a motorcycle accident when I was 19. Wore my helmet, of course, but I broke this arm in 3 places. They ended up putting two steel rods in the bones to help it heal. The rods are still in there and I never liked the scar much, so I decided to cover it up. But I liked the idea of embracing my so-called metal arm, so a tattoo artist buddy helped me design it. "

"It's incredible," you breathed in awe.

"It's also why you might've heard Barton call me RoboCop. It's one in a long line of nicknames I've been given. Most of them coming from Steve."