chapter three (p2)

Rose's POV:

It is supper for the 1st class passengers. Everything that has been happening over the past few months- was just getting to me. Or should I say past few years. I saw my whole life as if I'd already lived it. An endless parade of parties and cotillions, yachts and polo matches. Always the same narrow people, the same mindless chatter. I felt like I was standing at a great precipice... With no one to pull me back. No one who cared; or even noticed...

I suddenly rush out my seat and just run. I didn't even know where I was going. That's it. I know what I am going to do...

My breathing starts to increase and tears flow out my eyes like a running tap. Finally, I make it to the front of the ship. I run past a man lying on a bench, smoking a cigarette. I just ignore the fact that he was there because he wouldn't care anyway. Slowly, I step over the railing and look right down at the dark blue water below me. The stars from the dark night reflect onto the water.

I put my hands beside me and leant forward with caution. I am scared, yet certain with this decision. I take many deep and heavy breaths and close my eyes. The cold but gentle breeze hit my face.

"Don't do it"

I hear a male, American voice from behind me. My head turns around quickly. My eyes meet his and I finally realise who it is- the guy from 3rd class who was looking at me earlier. He is handsome, for sure, but I don't know him well enough to make anymore judgements. I cut my own thoughts off and start to speak.

"Stay back! Don't come any close!" I warn him.

"Come on. Just give me your hand- I'll pull you back over" He replies, stepping slightly closer towards me.

My arms and legs start to turn into jelly. I was very scared now. Should I listen to this boy? Was he trying to protect me? Or was he going to trick me and push me over board before I do it in my own time?

"No! Stay where you are" I warn him for the second time "I mean it! I'll let go!" I say sternly.

He takes a last drag out of his cigarette which was in his hand and threw it overboard.

"No you won't" He says confidently, coming closer again. I get a bit more comfortable with him around me, but not that much.

"What do you mean; no I won't?" I reply "Don't presume to tell me what I will and will not do. You don't know me!" I say, getting a bit frustrated with him being so sure about helping me back over.

"Well, you would have done it already" He says back.

He was right... damn it! Why?! Me being silly me, couldn't think of anything better to say. I then know what to say.

"You're distracting me. Go away!" But in all honesty, I am starting to like his company.

"I can't. I'm involved now. You let go, and I'm going to have to jump in there after you." He replies, warning me that if I jump; he would come in there to save me. He started to remove untie his boots. He was being serious then... It did make me quite happy that he would really do that for me. At the same time- I was shocked that he would actually want to jump in!

"Don't be absurd. You'll be killed" I say.

"I'm a good swimmer" He tells me, untying his other shoe.

"The fall alone will kill you" I reply, watching him taking his shoe off; without taking his eyes off of me.

"It would hurt. I'm not saying it wouldn't. I'm gonna tell you the truth... I'm a lot more concerned about that water being so cold."

He is a smart arse. What should I say back?! I challenge him and try to make him prove he isn't just saying that to make me come back over.

"How cold?"

"Freezing; Maybe a couple degrees over"

"My Father and I went ice fishing out on Lake Wissota. Ice fishing is you know where you" He starts- but I cut him off.

"I know what ice fishing is!" I raise my voice, then groan and roll me eyes. Does he think I am dumb?!

"Sorry. You just seem like, you know, kind of an indoor girl." He replies.

"Anyway, uh- I fell through some thin ice. And I'm telling ya... Water that cold, like right down there... it hits you like one thousand knives stabbing you all over your body. You can't breathe. You can't think- least not about anything but the pain; which is why I'm not lookin' forward to jumpin' in there after you."

By now he is literally behind me. I don't reply, I just look into his eyes. He has dirty blonde hair, blue eyes and tan skin. He has peach lips and a sharp jaw line. He is very handsome- very. He takes off his jacket and finishes talking.

"Like I said... I don't have a choice" "I guess I'm kinda hoping you'll come back over the rail and get me off the hook here."

"You're crazy" I say blankly, as I turn back around to face to blue waves crashing against the sides of the ship.

"That's what everybody says, but, will all due respect miss; I'm not the one hangin' off the back of a ship here"

"C'mon. Give me your hand. You don't wanna do this" He says, putting his arm out. I hold his hand and I turn around to become face to face with him- literally. He may be from 3rd class; but he sure is handsome and has a good scent.

"I'm Jack Dawson" His American voice says, as he smiles at me and looks into my eyes and at my lips.

I smile back slightly, still heavily breathing about the fact that I am hanging over the back of Titanic II.

"Rose DeWitt Bukater" I reply, looking sneakily at his lips and back to his eyes.

"I'll have to get you to write that one down" He replies, as he holds onto my waist so I can step back up the railing. I chuckle for a few seconds. That's probably the first time I have laughed in a few days. I step onto the railing above the one I was already standing on and the dress got caught. I slipped and screamed loudly. He tightened his grip on my hand and pulled me back up; whilst I was still screaming. Finally, he lifted me over and we stumbled over a bit. He was on top of me. Some crew members ran over and saw him on top of me. A 3rd class male laying on top of a 1st class female- my clothes ripped, my hair a mess, tears on my cheeks. His jacket off, shoes on the floor... Oh no. This isn't going to be good...

"YOU STAND BACK. AND DON'T MOVE AN INCH" He shouts at Jack. Jack puts his hands up in defence, stands up and steps away. His hands slide into his pockets as he tells the other crew member something.

"Fetch the Master at Arms."