chapter four

Rose's POV:

I sit down at my vanity and look into my hand mirror. On the other side of the vanity I have a music box. I open it up and listen to the peaceful music and hum along to it. I get interrupted by 3 small knocks at my door. The door opens to reveal Charles. I place my hand mirror back onto the shelf and tilt my head slightly to the side, taking out my earring.

"I know you've been melancholy" He says softly "I don't pretend to know why" He continues.

He walks towards me whilst saying "I intended to save this... until the engagement gala next week..." Then he sits on the side of my vanity, shoving the music box out the way.

My eyes go a bit wide because if he hadn't have shoved it out the way- he would've sat on it! My Father bought it for me when I was 5 because I loved doing ballet to that kind of music. I push that thought aside and listen to Charles.

"But, I thought... tonight" He continued, and opened a big wooden box. Inside lay a gorgeously patterned silver necklace, with a big blue heart attached at the bottom. It truly is, the prettiest piece of jewellery I have ever seen!

"Good gracious" I say in amazement, as I touch the cold yet shining diamond. My reflection was showing very clear in it- just like my hand mirror does.

Charles chuckles and replies with "Perhaps this is a reminder of my feelings for you".

I look up to him and see him smirking- most likely with my reaction to this beautiful necklace.

"Is it a" I ask him, but he cuts me off almost straight away "Diamond? Yes" with a smirk at the end.

He hops off the side of my dresser and places the box onto the side. Quickly, Charles takes out the necklace and puts it around my neck, whilst saying:

"56 carats to be exact. It was worn by Louis XVI" He takes a few steps back, puts his hand on the back of my chair and rests the other on the vanity. Let me just say- it is a heavy little thing!

"And they called it Le Coeur de la Mer" He explains, with a very good French accent.

"The heart of the ocean" We both say in unison.

"It's overwhelming" I tell him, stroking the blue diamond.

"Well, it's for royalty" He replies. What does he mean by 'it's for royalty''?

He sighs and continues what he was saying

"We are royalty, Rose"