chapter three (p3)

Rose's POV:

Right now, I am not wrapped in a blanket, drinking some tea. Charles is sat next to me rubbing my back.

"This is completely unacceptable! What made you think you could put your hands on my fiancée?!" Charles says to Jack, raising his voice. Jack doesn't reply because he is giving me the 'sorry' face, because if he says a word to me he knows Charles would go mad!

"Look at me you filth!" He says loudly in Jacks face as he grabs his collar and shakes him.

"Charles" I say sternly

He ignores me and continues shaking Jack.

"What do you think you were doing?!" He says again, raising his voice again.

"Charles stop!" I say, raising my voice. He loosens his grip on Jack and steps back very slightly.

"It was an accident!" I say, feeling annoyed with the way he is reacting. They don't have to jump to conclusions! They don't even know what actually happened. I hate the way they are treating him! He just saved my life for heaven's sake! ... I have an idea!

"I was leaning far over to see the um, the uh" I start, forgetting what they were called. I make circles with my fingers to see if that helped myself.

"Propellers?" Charles guesses.

"Propellers" I continue "And I slipped. I would've gone overboard, but, Mr Dawson here saved me- and almost went over himself.

"Like I said- women and machinery do not mix" The Master at Arms said blankly.

"Was that the way of it?" He asks sternly and very seriously. Jack quickly looks over at me and I give him that look as if to say 'just go along with it'.

"Yes- Yeah, that was pretty much it"

"Well the boys a hero then! Good for you then son- well done!" Another guy says, congratulating Jack. I am unsure of who this man actually is but he is but he is wearing a tie, blazer and white shirt with black pants so I am guessing he is an important member of the ship.

Jack looks back over at me and smiles as the Master at Arms detaches the handcuffs from him. I smile back but get pulled away by Charles.

"Look at you. You must be freezing! Let's get you inside." Charles says as he rubs my arms roughly and walks me back. I look back to Jack and smile at him again. He nods his head at me. Charles tugs on my hand, signalling me to turn around. I roll my eyes but turn around and carry on slowly walking.

"Perhaps, a little something for the boy...?" The man says, making Charles and I turn around.

"Certainly. Uh, Mr Lovejoy, I think a 20 should do it" Charles says, giving Jack an unfriendly look. I can tell he doesn't like Jack. I don't think Jack likes Charles to be honest. I don't blame him- I can see why. I roll my eyes because everything to him is money. He gives it away like no-one's business! He could give him a thank you, at least? But no- he would rather give money than be kind to a 3rd class passenger who just saved his fiancées life!

I gasp slightly then say this, feeling a bit disappointed with what he said.

"Is that the going rate for saving the woman you love"

"Rose is displeased... What to do?" He asks himself.

He fake smiles and turns to look at Jack who is putting his coat back on.

"Perhaps, you could join us for dinner tomorrow evening...? To regale our group- with your, heroic tale" Charles says, as he looks Jack up and down with a rude look.

"Sure. Count me in" He replies, looking at Charles a bit confused with this big offer to him. A smile comes to my face- knowing I shall be dining with Jack tomorrow. Rose stop being like this! You love Charles, right? Yes you love Charles! Not Jack!

"Good. It's settled then." He says, turning away and walking back up to me. "This should be interesting" He mumbles to Lovejoy, but loud enough for me to hear.

Before we start walking back, I give Jack a friendly smile. He returns the smile as I turn around to walk away.

Jack's POV:

I watch Rose walk away with Charles- her fiancée. A few seconds later, I whistle to catch Mr Lovejoy's attention, I think that's his name? He turns around and starts to walk towards me. "Can I, uh, bum a smoke?" I ask. He nods slightly and passes me the pot with his cigarettes in. I put one behind my ears and another one in between my lips.

"You'll want to tie those" He tells me blankly, looking at my shoes. I look down and notice my un-tied shoe laces. My shoes are big and brown. They are very good material so they are safe for me.

"It's interesting... The young lady slipped so suddenly- and you still had time to remove your jacket, and your shoes" He asks himself, looking quite confused. I light my cigarette and give him a puzzled look.

He gives me a weird look and walks off. I inhale some smoke then exhale it out my mouth a few second after. I turn around and walk slowly back to mine and Ben's room. I see an old pocket watch someone had left on the floor. I pick it up to check the time '10:45'. Well that was much longer than 10 minutes! I sigh and walk off- admiring the beautiful night time view. I walk past a bench and place the pocket watch onto the armrest. It looked like it was worth thousands- but I don't steal because it's very un loyal and it's against the law. Yes, I am quite unfortunate and have very little money compared to most people on this ship- but stealing isn't the answer. Finally, I make it back to my warm, cosy bedroom. Within minutes of me laying in bed- I fall asleep. Thoughts about tomorrow fill my head as I dose off.

I hope it goes well.