decisions part one

John Watson was seventeen when he decided he wanted to attend St. Bart's Medical Academy. For once, his father embraced his son because he was proud of him.

"A doctor! Now, that's very prestigious," John's mother smiled sweetly. She had sat John down at the kitchen table to talk to him once his father had left for work.

"I feel the need to...help people, mum," John explained.

"I understand, darling. Your father and I are very proud of you."

"So what do you really want to talk about?"

"Now, John. We both know how much your father disapproves of Harry's...sexuality, and I've been noticing some things lately about you, too."

"Mum, I have no idea what you're talking about." John tried not to panic.

"Your favorite band is Queen, you wear a jean jacket everyday that has a David Bowie patch ironed on--"

"Mum, please, stop. None of that means I'm a homosexual."

"Honey, I'm trying to tell you that if you are, I don't care. I accept you--and Harry--for who you are." She seemed sincere.

"Thanks for the confidence, but I promise you that I'm not anything of that sort. I like girls. Okay?"

"Okay, baby." His mother held her hands up in a defensive position. John left the kitchen and retired to his bedroom. He couldn't keep his mother's words from his mind because he knew that she was right. He did like girls, he really did. But God help him if he didn't like boys, too. To John Watson, boys were entirely something else. Some were assholes, of course, but others were sweet, and John wanted to kiss their necks and hold their hands.

But his father was frightening, and he didn't want to be kicked out like Harry. Even his mother might let it slip if John really confided in her. For now, John Watson was still 110% heterosexual.