recruited part one

In the fall of 1993, when John was eighteen, he started his studies at St. Bart's. His roommate was some guy named Thomas who was never really there, but that suited John just fine. He could study in peace whenever he wanted, and that's what John spent most of his time doing. He didn't focus on girls or boys or friends. Although, he did laugh at the jokes Mike Stamford cracked from time to time in their biology class they shared together. Overall, John was content with becoming a doctor. He was excited for what the future held, until an army recruiter showed up one day.

His name was Major Isaiah Kittredge, and apparently, the army was looking to recruit young male medical students to train as army doctors. John was instantly intrigued. The opportunity would get him away from his father for a long period of time, which was always an incentive. It would also give him a more realistic setting to practice his skills on, rather than cadavers all the damn time.

When Major Kittredge called for volunteers to discuss the prospect, John stood with two other boys. The major gave them his contact information, and John's head was alight with all sorts of ideas and scenarios he couldn't wait to immerse himself in.