課 010

He knitted his eyebrows together and set the empty soda can on the table.

"Your asking me, to be your friend" He repeated, emphasizing on the bold words.

He still was used to the habbit of shutting people down whenever he saw chances like this, which made me feel pretty bad about him.

It was the only way that helped him cope with everything and everyone that surrounded him. His life must had been tough throughout these years. I bet he had already dealt with depression before, or maybe something even worse.

Whatever it was, I admired him for staying strong and for moving forward, despite having all those knives on your back and endless wounds on your body.

I chuckled as I nodded. "Don't tell me you've never made friends before"

He smiled and shook his head. "Not in high school at least. Ethan and I were pretty even in primary school when it came to popularity. But then when we stepped in this hell hole..." He trailed off chuckling as he rubbed the crook of his neck.

"Why did you stop? C'mon tell me more about you and E" I smiled in awe as I rested my cheek on my palm.

He laughed. "Sure, what would you like to know" He leaned back, extending his arms out, hands against the grass.

"I don't know, childhood stories?" I asked, stealing one of his french fries and shoving it into my mouth.

He chuckled. "Well, we got kicked out of our summer camp back then" He laughed, as I giggled along.

"Why?"

"We used to fight a lot, like, a lot. We wrestled, and I guess the people in our summer camp got annoyed" We laughed.

I stole a bunch more french fries, before I asked him another question. It wasn't in my intentions to be interested in his life. I was supposed to be careless, faking it just for the little deal his twin brother offered me.

Yet there I was, talking and giggling with almost everything he said. Curiosity got the best of me.

"Anyway, enough about me" He sat back up. "What about you?" He pointed his index at me, making my heart skip a beat.

I smiled. "What about me?"

"You've only told me a nickname. Not your real name"

"That's because I don't like people calling me by my real name. And just like you, I find it hard to trust people that easily"

He raised an eyebrow. "Alright. Tell me something else then"

I chuckled and looked away, my eyes wandering. I wanted to open up to Grayson, so I thought about my answer for a while, until my eyes caught a glimpse of something very much unexpected.

"Get down!" I yelled as the windows broke.

There was a shooting going on. And we were its prey.

____

❝Don't tell me you've never made friends before❞- Raine Hernandez, Melrose

- Raine Hernandez, Melrose